Chapter 4: Devin

En başından başla

"You're such a hopeless romantic, Connor." I mutter.

"Shhh. People might find out." Connor says jokingly. 

I roll my eyes before going back on topic. "Don't worry. I'll try my best not to snap at my classmates."

There was a moment of silence before he tells me softly.

"You might want to consider moving on. It might be better for you."

I sigh dejectedly. "Maybe someday, but not today. You can't just forget about someone overnight, you know?"

He nods understandingly. "I just worry about you, Dev. I hate seeing you like this. It's not healthy."

Before I know it, I'm driving on the circular driveway of my home. I passed the neatly cut grass, freshly cut by our gardeners. I drive up to the front door, get out of the car, and pass my keys to Rodrigo, our personal valet.

Connor and I walked on the marble steps of our victorian styled house. As I pass the entrance, I greet our maids.

"Hey Maria! Hey Esther!" I managed a smile to the women who practically raised my brother and I. They were family to me. 

"Good afternoon, Sir Devin and Sir Connor." Maria and Esther chorused. They were both in their late 50's with greying hair and warm, kind brown eyes.

"How many times do we have to tell you not to call us that?" Connor said, pulling them into a swift hug. "You're practically family to us."

They smiled warmly at us, before returning to their work.

I head up the winding staircase, passing the large chandelier. Ancient paintings lined on the second floor hallway where my room is located. It was the third door to the right.

I opened the door to my room. I had a plasma screen TV connected to an Xbox. I didn't feel like playing today like I usually did.

I plopped down on my queen sized bed with my favorite blue comforters, and started to think about tomorrow.

The first day of senior year was supposed to be happy. I mean, it was the last year of high school. But with the weight of the break up, I wasn't so happy anymore.

 ++

I woke up the next day to the blinding sunlight streaming through my windows. I didn't even get the chance to close the curtains to my window since I fell asleep. I heard my stomach growl. I even skipped dinner.

I looked at the digital clock on my bedside table and immediately scrambled off the bed.

Oh shit! 7:30 am. I was going to be late! School started at 8:00 am.

I rushed around my room, frantically, grabbing some clean clothes. I fumbled with the belt of my jeans, not even bothering with a shower anymore.

I hastily ran down the stairs, passing the kitchen for a piece of toast that would serve as my breakfast. 

Grabbing my bag, I sprinted out the door. Fortunately, Rodrigo was already there, ready with my car.

"Thanks Rod." I tell him, as I got in the car and drove off to Philipps Academy. 

I saw the trees whizz by as I sped on the road

Once I reached the school, I parked my Mustang next to other expensive cars such as Posche's, and Audi's.

I exit my car, running towards the office to get my class schedule.

"Hi. Devin Tuckerson. I'm in a hurry." I say, out of breath. "Can I have my schedule?"

The receptionist said "Okay, I'll print it right out for you. Just a sec." 

I look at the clock on the far end of the wall and see that I have 5 minutes left. I was anxious because I didn't want to be late on the first day of school. That wouldn't give much of a good impression.

It was then that I noticed a girl with black hair sitting on the waiting couches. Her head was down, so I wasn't able to see her face. A new student, maybe?

Having a new student was quite rare here because the standards were quite high and the tuition fee was very expensive. So, most of the students here were sons and daughters of CEOs of big companies, Surgeons or famous directors. 

I was pulled out of my thoughts by the receptionist's voice.

"Here you go!" She smiled at me. 

I grabbed my schedule, saying a quick "thanks" before rushing back out the door. 

Checking my schedule, I found out my homeroom was in room 27 with Mr. Albert.

Room 27? Are you kidding me? That was on the other side of the school. 

Running as fast as I could, I rushed to the classroom. I made it just in time. 

I sat myself in one of the only seats left in the back row. Mr. Albert greeted the class before starting on his welcome back speech. I zoned out because it was usually the same thing every year.

20 minutes into his speech and there was a knock on the door. I smiled in relief. Finally, something to distract us from such a dull speech.

Mr. Albert walks to the door looking a bit irritated from the interruption. He opened the door slightly and shared a few words with whoever was on the other side.

Suddenly, Mr. Albert smiles at us and opens the door wider. The girl from the office a while back enters. Her head was downcast and her dark hair was covering her face so no one could see her face.

“Class this is our new student,” Mr. Albert started. “She just moved here from London so be nice.”

He turns to face the girl, “Why don’t you introduce yourself?”

She lifts her head and I am greeted with a familiar face. I just can’t put my finger on it. She smiles, shyly before introducing herself.

“Hello,” she says with a thick British accent. “I’m Faith Dawson.”

It was then she locked her eyes with me. The familiar striking green eyes met mine and realization swept over me.

I clenched my fists. It was her.

Apparently, I wasn’t the only who realized this because I watched as her eyes widened in horror.

She curses loudly, “Bloody hell.”

Bloody hell indeed.