The Spartan and the Persian

Hey all, if your reading this story and you like then please comment for me to write more. It really pushes me to write more! So even if its one person just saying 'more', then i will write more just to know people are enjoying it! Thank you!

~Spartan City~

My worn sandals hit the gravely rock, sending stones scattering in different directions, as I slid down the steep bank. Pushing my legs to run faster I could see the orange sun dip behind my great city. As I bounded across the uneven sand towards the walls I could feel the rope holding my mass of wavy locks loosen and hair escaped sticking to my sweaty forehead and getting into my face stopping me from seeing. I raked it back with my hand and turned to watch my brother panting and running behind me.

Grinning I called back to him. "What is the matter Lukos, can you not keep up?"

"I should have never listened to you, father is going to be furious!" He called back in gasps.

"Relax brother, we are almost to the gate" It was true, I could see the familiar stone structure and large wooden doors.

We raced through the gate while getting glares from the guards as they began to close it behind us, and I turned to my brother who had his hands on his knees bending over to pull more air into his lungs.

"What did I tell you Lukos, we had plenty of time" I smiled with triumph.

"Oh really, and may I ask what you spend all this time doing?" Spoke a gruff voice from behind me and I mentally groaned.

I mustered up an innocent smile and turned towards the muscled man in his 40s wearing a tough leather tunic and the same blood red cloak that most Spartans wore. But his had a golden seal holding it together with the intricate design that showed honour and pride, but most of all ferociousness and strength. This man was the commander Alkaios of the deadly Spartan warriors and right now he was looking at me with a disapproving look. He also happens to be my Father.

"Kleio made me do it" Spoke up my brother from my side; I turned to frown at him.

"Lukos go home, your mother is waiting for you" He growled. Lukos hung his head and walked past him, not looking him in the eye.

"Traitor" I hissed at him and shot a dirty glare at his decending back.

"Kleio come with me" Father ordered and turned on his heel to march off down the city road leaving me to trail behind him.

He led me to one of the temples in our magnificent city, Athena's temple was lit with torches ready for the night that was slowly descending upon us. The priestess of the temple was an older woman dressed in a baggy floor length tunic and headscarf, I had always wondered how she didn't boil under the hot Greek sun but my mother had once told me it was to hide the modesty of the woman so no men would desire over her because that would be a sin to Athena. The priestess was a sour woman who has been shuffling around the temple for decades, I doubt that many men would be lusting after the old hag.

"Kleio" My name being said brought me out of my thoughts and I saw that the priestess had scurried off and I sighed, not that I wished for her presence but now I was alone with the commander.

"My Lord" I sneered at him which was just ignored.

"I have lost count of the number of times I have told you not to venture out alone past the city walls-" He began.

"But I was not alone, I had Lukos" I stated.

"Your brother has 10 and 3 years, he is hardly a true Spartan warrior" He rolled his wise eyes.

"You speak as if I am completely defenceless, was it not you who has trained me, was it not you who taught me to swing my first sword" My voice was becoming louder. I knew better than to shout in the Goddess Athena's temple but right now I couldn't control myself. Maybe she could give me wisdom to hold my tongue in these situations.