XVIII. Sonic the Hedgehog

Start from the beginning

Gritting my teeth, I snatched up Silver and started jogging, glad that Shadow was still in a stupor. I weaved between the buildings, hoping that I had finally lost him. Robots kept out of my way, maybe heeding an order from Shadow.  I kept down the street, stumbling again on the way. I didn't want to get back up, but I knew I had to get the shard and Silver back to Dr. Light's lab. My stomach stung, and my vision wasn't cooperating.

I looked up and saw the glass tower. For a moment, I was surprised, as if I never expected to see it again. I could easily make my way back from there.

Getting out of the city didn't take long after I saw the building. Once I felt it was safe, I swung Silver's arm over my back, dragging him along to the lab. I held one hand against my wound, not daring to look down at it. I knew that would just make things worse. The warm liquid running down my leg grossed me out enough.

"Sonic!" Mega Man said, running and waving at me. I smiled at him, even as he stopped and stared at my wound. "It's not as bad as it looks," I lied. It was pretty painful.

He shook free of his stupor and took Silver from me, running into the lab. I bent over, my hands on my knees. It felt good to finally be able to stop and catch my breath. Mega Man came back quickly, helping me inside. Sally and Dr. Light were inside, and turned to look as we came inside. "Not as bad as it looks," I repeated. I pulled free from Mega Man and sat on the floor, doubling over in a sudden surge of pain.

"I thought your energy looked weak," Dr. Light muttered.

I could feel Sally's eyes boring into me, a million things running through her head. I sat back up and looked at her, panting. "We... need bandages," she finally said.

"Right," Dr. Light said, leaving the room. Sally pulled my hand away, wincing as she looked at it. I stole a glance, but couldn't see much besides red. "You're right; it isn't as bad as it looks." Sally said.

"Really?" I asked with a frown. "It was one of Shadow's Chaos Spears. Went all the way through."

"It's a clean cut," Sally explained, looking at my back. "It didn't pierce anything, so it won't take too long to heal."

"It'll be fine," I agreed, another bout of pain causing me to scream. I groaned, leaning my head against the wall. "It's so good to know what it feels like when you actually get hit by one of those spears, though."

Sally didn't even pretend to smile. Dr. Light came in, and she came and took a tray of stuff from him, setting it down next to me. There was a bunch of intimidating looking stuff on it.

"You know, I'm good," I said, starting to rise. "Seriously, it'll get a lot better with some rest."

Sally pulled me back down, and I let her, reluctantly. "We don't know that for sure," Sally said, not meeting my eyes. "I'm just going to put some gauze over it."

I nodded. Mega Man came in, looking at me with his eyes full of worry. "Did you carry that guy after you got hit?"

"I couldn't just leave him," I said, squirming as Sally pressed something into my belly.

"Try and hold still, Sonic," Sally warned.

"Where's Tails?" I asked, trying to keep my mind off the pain. "I haven't seen him since I came in. And Silver's okay, right? The guy I brought in?"

"Tails was sleeping," Rock answered, changing from his armor. "Do you want me to wake him up? And, er... Silver's still unconscious."

"No, whatever you do, don't wake Tails up," I replied. "He doesn't need this stress. Silver'll be out for a while." Suddenly, I remembered the backpack I still had. "The shard!" I shouted, grabbing the backpack. I reached in to it, my hand going through the bottom. I stared at it, shocked. After everything I had done to get it, Shadow had ended up with the shard. No wonder he let me go free. I threw the pack away, super frustrated.