Mother

Chapter 34

Her face is a picture of fury as a set of blue eyes bore into mine. With furious hand gestures she beckons me to leave the room. I turn to wake Otto who snores peacefully in his bed next to me, but I catch Annika's expression. "Don't," she mouths.

This is my boss. She's just caught me in bed with her son. I had no idea she was coming home, this morning. Talk about awkward. Grabbing one of Otto's t-shirts from the floor, I pull it over my head so I'm not standing on the landing shivering in my knickers.

Annika closes the bedroom door behind us. Her look of disapproval is palatable when she scans my outfit. I tug at the hem; I'm not even wearing underwear. I do not need to flash Annika – not now. God this whole situation looks like I've been up all night seducing her son...which I was because we're in love.

Annika paces the landing and I bite down on my lip, maybe I should begin the conversation. "You're back?" My heart is out of control.

Her face is pinched. "This is highly unprofessional." She folds her arms.

"It just happened."

"Is that all you've got to say?" Her voice accelerates to something high pitched and squeaky. Her whole body trembles. "Go to the office, I'll see you there in a moment."

"Should I grab my clothes?"

"Go. Now."

I feel like a school kid as I race down the stairs but I duck past the music room first, finding where my dress and underwear were thrown over the floor. In a frenzied state I pull the fabric over my head and usher myself to the office and breathlessly sit on one of the seats by the desk.

I'm there, tapping my foot for what seems like eternity. When she finally enters the office, she closes the door behind her. "I came back from my tour because I read an article in Symphony Magazine about Otto Arnold and a mysterious duo partner whom I gather is you?"

I frown. "Otto and I play three handed duets – it's just for the spirit. So he feels like he can still perform."

"How did Symphony Magazine hear about the duets?"

"I don't know. We've hidden the fact that he even has lessons by me going into the class at the same time."

"The teacher doesn't come here."

"Maestro's the conductor of the London Symphony Orchestra; he wouldn't have time to come here."

Annika clicks her tongue. "Otto Arnold is a soloist. He can not be part of a duo ensemble. Although there are many successful duo ensembles, it is not possible to have both duo and solo careers. The industry doesn't work like that. He'll lose his solo career if he does. People will think he's washed up."

I bite my lip. "We never said we were forming a duo ensemble. It was just for fun."

"Do you know how much damage you've done?"

"Annika, I didn't start the rumour mill. These things get out."

"I paid you so they wouldn't get out. Did you ensure everyone signed the confidentiality agreements?"

"Yes. Of course."

"Then did you do it? Did you tell Symphony Magazine?"

My brow furrows. "Of course not." I suddenly feel quite tense at the way she's looking at me.

"What do you think will happen if he doesn't recover properly? Do you think he'll still love you then or do you think he'll hate you?" She folds her arms and glares at me. "I'm sure you both feel like you're in love but what do you think will happen if he doesn't recover?"