The Calm Before the Storm

Start from the beginning

    “Your point?” the Commander raised a brow, and Clarke almost forgot to breathe because wow. Her eyes were piercing already, and now the Commander was living up to her title completely with just one raised brow and it did something to Clarke’s insides.

    “My point is, we need your help, Commander.” She swallowed the pride that threatened to rise, focusing on helping her people instead of trying to do things herself she knew she’d never accomplish. “My people could learn from yours, learn how to hunt and find resources that would help us survive the freezing cold that’s coming.”

    “Why should we help you? You have nothing to offer my people.” Her tone wasn’t accusatory, but it still commanded an answer.

    Clarke took a few seconds to think, then turned to Raven and gestured her forward. “We have a radio.”

    Thankfully, Raven took over from there. “I can make more, short range radios. This one is used to contact our people on the Ark, but I can make some to contact people here on the Ground, too.” The mechanic pulled the radio out and fiddled with it, making it static in her hands. She and Clarke glanced up and around when the warriors around them shifted, then focused back on the technology. The mechanic looked up, chewing on her lip. “You uh, you want a demonstration?” Clarke was only slightly relieved when her usual smirk curled her lips. The Commander seemed to ponder for a moment, before she dipped her chin in a nod. The blonde gestured for Raven to speak, because now so wasn’t the time to bring her drama to the surface. Raven cleared her throat and pressed a button, taking a deep breath. “Earth to the Ark, Earth to the Ark, come in Arkers!” She grinned, then pulled the radio away. “I’ve always wanted to say that.”

    Clarke barely managed to keep from rolling her eyes, smiling at the mechanic. The radio fizzled, and then a tinny voice came through. “Arkers, really?”

    Raven grinned, and Clarke mirrored her. “Yeah, sorry, first thing I thought of. Just calling to check in, Abby.”

    “Everyone’s alright, then? Clarke?”

    Clarke tensed up and drilled her gaze into the brunette’s. She did not want to deal with this right now, she’d talk to her mother later if she had to. Raven seemed to battle with herself for a moment before answering. “Yeah, Abby, everyone’s fine. Clarke’s fine. Busy. I have to go, I just needed to make sure the radio was still in range.”

    “Alright. We’ll take that as your daily check in, then.”

    “Sounds good. Talk to you tomorrow.” Raven shut the device off, and the girls turned to face the Commander once more.

    Clarke saw a flicker of shock, curiosity, intrigue, before the woman schooled her face into an unreadable mask. “Very well. We will discuss this further while Ryder shows your friends our tek room.” She flicked her wrist, and two big guys, guards, bowed their heads and gestured for the four other to follow.

    “I’ll be alright, go on.” Clarke smiled at them, and they left the room with little resistance. She swallowed at the door clicked shut behind them, leaving her alone in the room with the Commander of the Twelve Clans and her most trusted general.

Earth, Natalie and Anya’s quarters; Sometime in October, 2149

    “You spoil them, Niron,” Anya softly chastised as she leaned on the doorframe for a moment, her arms crossed over her stomach. A small smile played at her lips, showing she wasn’t being too serious.

    Natalie turned to look at her, a half asleep Ana cuddled against her chest. Bran and Noah lay sleeping on the big bed, snuggled in the very middle of the surface. Noah snored softly with her mouth hung open, and Bran slept silently, breathing through his nose. “Children need to be spoiled sometimes.”