13 - Any Second Now

Charlie

We go into the ice cream shop, which is a little crowded. We quickly order, and grab seats. Andy, Dave, Evie, and Martin grab a table for four, which leaves Alan and I at a little table a few feet away from them.

"Well, what else did the Inspector say? If you don't mind me asking." Says Alan.

"He said that they're going to try to get information out of the guy who they arrested. I'm assuming where the gang hangs out, so they catch them. They're threatening this guy with a heavy prison sentence if he doesn't fess up, I think that's what Inspector Galveston said." I reply.

"He better tell everything he knows." Alan says.

"As crazy as this sounds, I'm not looking forward to the long road ahead. I don't want to deal with a whole court case and testifying. Part of me doesn't care. But, the other part of me cares a great deal. I was one of the lucky ones. I got a few bruises and scrapes, and passed out. But you guys came. Besides the fact that I don't want to walk around alone anymore, I'm okay. There's this one girl that was beaten so severely by those fucking monsters she has brain damage! She can't speak! So, I must do this for her."

I look at Alan, and he looked stunned.

"Brain damage? Holy shit. I'm glad you're okay." He says, shocked.

"That does put my scrapes and bruises into perspective," I say.

"Hey! I've never heard you curse!" Alan teases, trying to make the situation lighter.

"Charlie curses? That's a good joke Al." Says Dave from the other table.

"Well, I wouldn't say I curse like a sailor, I do curse occasionally." I say.

"Sure." Says Dave, not believing.

I look around, and there's a group of young kids a few tables away.

"Well, I'm not going to start screaming things out now!" I say, discreetly pointing to the kids.

Martin

After we finish at the ice cream parlor, we decide to walk around a little.

Evie and I walk hand and hand, talking and laughing with the others.

"So, when does Black Celebration come out?" Charlie asks.

"March 17th. So a few months away." Andy says.

"I can't wait to hear it!" Evie says, turning to me.

"It's a little dark, but I think you'll like it." I tell her, as a wrap my arm around her.

Just then, a tow truck drives by, with a car attached to its back.

"Hey Andy, that really looks like your car!" Dave says in surprise.

"Dave, that IS MY CAR!" Andy yells, and the six of us break out into a sprint to try and catch the driver's attention.