Family Matters

You awoke to the usual ambience of the Nordic household: quarreling, laughing, and yelling. At this point, the incessant drama was bland and expected. It was almost welcome, almost home.

Well, whatever home was to you anyway. For the past decade, "home" was never in one place. It was wherever or whoever did not beat you, neglect you, or scar you. For you, home was just a four-letter lie, a pathetic mockery of what your mother once meant to you.

You shook away those thoughts. This was not the time.

You bent over the stair railing and surveyed the living area, the epicenter of arguing. The three brothers were speeding all around the lower floor, gathering clothes, trinkets, and other various items. Shouts flew back and forth as the brothers bustled about. The atmosphere resembled the buzz of a busy kitchen.

"Dane." You heard Lukas call. "No hair products. We have limited space."

Mathias bounded into view. "Aww! Can't you make an exception? For me? Pwetty pwease?"

Lukas pinched the bridge of his nose. "No."

"Come on, Lukas! Don't be so cold. Let the big baby have his hair products." You batted your eyelashes in an exaggerated way.

His eyes narrowed the slightest bit, almost undetectably. He began to scan your face with a hint of suspicion. Now he was thinking.

"...Telling a Nordic country not to be cold..." He mumbled under his breath.

"What was that?" You chimed and cupped your ear.

Lukas closed his eyes and sighed. "Fine."

Mathias leaped up the stairs and hugged you. He lifted you up, swinging you from side to side.

"Sweet! I've never seen anyone change Lukas' mind! You are seriously awesome! Thanks, Turtle!"

He finished his rejoicing and released you from the embrace. Humming a giddy tune, Mathias ran off, eager to cram his leather bag full of oils and perfumes.

You sent a faint smile Lukas' way, only to receive a blank stare.

Suddenly, a firm hand clamped down on your shoulder. Its powerful grip made you stand stiff.

"...Did you like the carving?.."

You slowly craned your neck to face the hand's owner. Your fears melted away as you recognized who it was.

"Oh, yes. I loved it, Berwald! It was simply beautiful."

He held his frosty gaze with you and nodded, turning back to monitor his squabbling siblings. You swore you could see a rosy hue dust his cheeks.

"What are you all packing for? I hope I haven't scared you away." You giggled at your tiny joke.

"...We are heading to Dublin... It is... Urgent."

"Urgent?"

He exhaled a weary breath. "...We have little coffee..."

"Can't you just drink tea?"

Berwald's hand shot from your shoulder to your mouth, covering it completely.

"...Do not use...that word..."

He paused a moment and withdrew his hand from your lips.

"...Sorry..."

"You're fine. I didn't realize just how dedicated you are to coffee."

"...You would understand if you saw Lukas... without it..."