Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Tests

Start from the beginning

   Izzy was already in the Great Hall with Will, this time, taking the caution of not taking Ancient Runes. She was laughing as Will told her corny jokes while I helped myself to bacon and porridge. My schedule was the same as sixth year, at least the courses that I was allowed to take NEWTS in. While Will was glued to Izzy's face, I began my schedule at Care of Magical Creatures. Tom Riddle and I effectively ignored each other; both of us being skilled enough to fool others. Roger Davies was right in a way. There was nothing between us, and if there was, it was unadvisable to show our affection to each other.

    Tom Riddle, though, had not inspired in the latest book as usual. He was flirting with a bunch of Slytherin girls; all of them being inescapably pure-blood. My eyebrows furrowed. Was he trying to make me jealous? It was so unlike Tom Riddle that I stared, to which he ignored me even further. I shook my head and slinging my bag over my shoulder, went through Defense of the Dark Arts with Izzy and Will. I had managed to score high on exams; Grindelwald could say what he liked about Dumbledore, but he couldn't say that he wasn't inspiring or a great professor.

    Everything was too bland, almost too normal. The classes were mildly difficult, and perhaps even intimidating, but I went through them with ease. It gave me plenty of time to think about Davies. What was his goal? How did he know so much? A burst of fear was that he was Grindelwald's spy, but something told me that it wouldn't be his style. I couldn't report until I confirmed it.

   The bewitched sleep spell that I was supposed to be working on backfired and let's just say that Izzy took a rather relaxing nap in the middle of her class. Unsurprisingly, I was given extra homework. I counted down the classes, one by one. Charms. Lunch. Transfiguration. Divination. Last class. Potions.

   Professor Slughorn greeted us all; his walrus like presence as stable as always. He shook Tom's hand quite warmly before giving me an accepting nod. As we all settled into our tables, Slughorn flicked his wand, showing the instructions on the board. "We will continue to practice potions that you will be asked to brew in your NEWT exams. Now, who can tell me what this cauldron of liquid is?"

   Tom's well-practiced hand hit the air, but to so had I. Slughorn looked surprised. More at the fact that I knew. "Yes, Adeline Robins?" he asked.

    I lowered my hand, dictating clearly, "It's Amortentia. It is the most powerful love potion in the world."

   Slughorn decided to milk this opportunity. "And how did you find it out? I suppose you recognized the distinct mother of pearl sheen and its characteristic spirals?"

    I looked at Tom for a moment, who stiffened. "It's supposed to smell different to each person, depending on what they are attracted to, however--"

    "--Amortentia doesn't cause love; only a powerful infatuation," Tom continued, looking at me directly in the eyes, "and a child born by Amortentia is incapable of feeling love." I could feel the rest of the class fidget in confusion. Even they could feel the slightest pinprick bit of tension.

   Slughorn cleared his throat. "Yes, both Tom and Adeline are correct. Five points to each Slytherin and Hufflepuff. Now, you will all create Amortentia from scratch in pairs. Everything you need will be in the cupboard. You have one hour and thirty minutes. Get started!"

   Izzy started gathering the ingredients as I read the instructions, but none of the words seemed to be going to my mind. I was only looking at Tom; who was recreating the potion that did all of this to him. "Addie!" I heard a scold as Izzy stopped me from spilling the cauldron. I blinked.