8. Bad

I woke up by the awful sound of my alarm clock. I slammed the snooze button and turned around to burry my face in my pillow. It was one of those days were you just knew it was going to be a crappy one.

"Emma, wake up!" Amanda called from the other side of the door. "Yeah yeah, I'm coming," I shouted. I heard a deep sigh and then footsteps running down the stairs.

I had to drag myself out of bed and carry my heavy feet to the bathroom. I took a look in the mirror, sighing once again. Then I grabbed my make up bag and made myself presentable. 

 "Emma! Hurry up! We're gonna be late!" "I'm coming!" I shouted back, getting annoyed with my sister complaining in the morning. I did my hair in a ponytail and turned to my room to change into my clothes. I took a random skinny jeans and a shirt up from the chair, where I usually dropped all my clothes, and put them on. Taking a last look in the mirror before leaving the room I rushed downstairs.

"Finally, it was about time," Amanda, who was waiting at the front door, snapped and then turned around and went to the car that kept honking in front of our house . I hurried behind her without taking breakfast. I wasn't even hungry anymore thanks to all the rushing this early in the morning.

"Why did it take so long?" James complained as he drove of to school since we were going to be too late, while I buckled my seat belt. "I overslept," I answered quickly, avoiding to start a conversation about my sleeping routine. "How come?" "I don't know I just did," I harshly said. "Wow, someone's in a bad mood," Carter laughed and I gave him another angry look. I didn't feel like discussing my morning mood with them so I stared out the window, ignoring their rambling about useless things, until we arrive at school.

"What about you, Ems?" Sarah asks, snapping me back to reality. "What about me?" I ask confused while getting out of the car. "Who are you taking to the party? Carter and Amanda are going together as 'friends'," she says while motioning her fingers. "And well I thought we could just go with the tree of us unless you want to take someone else along?" She continues. "What party?" I ask, still confused. "Hello? Dan's party? The one everyone's talking about? Doesn't that ring a bell?" She says as if it's clear. 

 "Oh yeah, that party," I say remembering our talk from Tuesday. "I'll guess I'm going with you guys. I mean who else would I take?" I continue. "Well, you could ask L-" "Don't you dare to say Luke or I'll punch you in your face," I interrupt her.  

"Sorry buy you can't blame me. He's hot! If I was you I'd have already kissed him. Wait, did you kiss him yesterday?" She asks. She's getting too excited about this so I need to stop her before Luke stands behind me or something since we're already walking in the hallway. I don't even know where the rest of our friends group went but I guess they're probably still on the parking lot. "What? No! Of course I haven't, we're just friend," I say. "Sure you are. I wonder how long it's gonna take before you realize it," she giggles. "Before I realize what?" I ask harshly. "Nothing, I need to go to my class anyway. I'll see you around," she says before turning around and walking away. 

I don't bother thinking about it further and make my way to English class. I sit down at a random seat and stare ahead of me, watching the other students walk in. I get interrupted from my thoughts once again when someone claps in front of my face. I make a little jump on my seat and look up to the person standing in front of me. "Whoa, calm down. It's just me," Luke laughs while sitting down on the seat next to me. I give him a weak smile and rest my face in my hand while I watch Luke taking his books.

 "Not sitting in the back today?" I ask him when he finally sits still. "Nope," he smiles popping the 'p'. "So what's up with you today? No offense but you look really tired," he says. "I didn't had much sleep. Do I really look that bad?" I ask while trying to wipe away the bags under my eyes. "No, you don't. You just look a little bit tired," he chuckles. "Ugh yeah right! Even I nearly got a heart attack myself when I looked in the mirror this morning," I laugh. "That seems a bit overreacted," he smiles and I roll my eyes. "Well yeah that was when I just got out of bed and didn't use to magical power of make up yet," I joke. "I'm pretty sure you look just as beautiful without make up," he says. I raise my eyebrows at him. "Wait a minute, did Luke Hemmings just called me beautiful?" I tease him. He rolls his eyes and leans back in his chair. "It's a compliment, take it or leave it," he says. I open my mouth to say something but get 'sssht' by the teacher who just walked in.  

The bell rings and I walk along with Luke to my locker. "Um, Emma?" He asks from behind me. "Yeah?" "How fast did you get ready this morning exactly?" "I don't know exactly but I didn't even got time to eat breakfast," I answer. He chuckles and I turn to him. "What?" I ask confused. "Well, I think you're wearing your shirts backwards," he laughs. "Oh my god, really?" I ask while reaching at my neck to feel the tag. "Well I'm pretty sure," he continues laughing. "Luke! Don't laugh at me. It isn't funny," I try to say without laughing myself but fail miserably. 

"Okay, please stay close behind me so it isn't too obvious," I command while pulling him towards the toilets. He keeps laughing at me while we're walking. I stop in front of the door of the girls bathroom and turn to Luke. "Luke, please stop laughing. It's already awkward enough," I whine. "Okay, I'm sorry. Just go and change quickly or we're gonna be late for the next period." "Okay, just stay here."

I hurry in one of he cabins and change my shirt so it's back to normal. How can I be this stupid? How can I've not noticed it when I left the house? Or how didn't my friends see it? I walk to the crane and take my time to splash some water in my face and take the make up out my bag and rearrange it. I put everything back in my bag and turn around and bump into Luke.

"You know, Lucas, they're this sign at he door that says 'girls'," I say. "Oh really? Didn't see that," he says sarcastically. "Anyway all classes already started so we might as well skip this period and talk. Or we could also just skip the entire day," he suggest. 

Skipping school doesn't sound bad at all but I've never done it before and my parents would kill me if they find out. "I don't know, Luke. I've never missed a single day before and my paren-" "So what? Let them be mad, just tell them you didn't feel good and went home. I know they both work until late so they wouldn't even notice it as long as you're back before they are and your sister doesn't tell them," he cuts me off.  

I take a deep sigh. I know I'll give in eventually even though I'm not sure if I should. "And what if we did? What would we day all day?" I ask, searching for a reason to stay at school. "I don't know, we'll see," he smirks. There's a long silent stare between us as I'm thinking about my answer. "Fine, but I need to be back before 8pm," I sighed.

 "Yes! I promise you won't regret it, Emma," he smiles. Luke takes my hand and leads me to the door where we sneak away carefully, trying not to get caught.