Chapter Five

Elle realized as a draft arose in Rossetti's departure, eliciting a tremor down her spine that she had adapted to his nearness, so much so that she briefly mourned the loss of his warmth, taking her completely by surprise.

           "May I have my staff, please?" she requested of the maid.

           "Aye, of course, miss."

           She felt a rush of relief as her fingers curled about the gnarled wood, feeling a semblance of security once again.

           "If you'll just follow this way," The maid advised gingerly.

           Elle listened to the chambermaid's steps, committing her nimble and light strides to memory, noticing they differed tremendously from the swift and measured stalk of her large and foreboding captor.

           She followed behind Lucy, shivering against the cold, musty air that held steadfast to the corridor.

           "Here we are," Lucy called followed by the sound of a large door creaking on its hinges.

           Elle stepped with some reluctance, half-expecting to smell the fetid odor of waste and death clinging to the oppressive, chill-riddled air of a dungeon. But there was no caustic bite of air; naught but blessed warmth diffused with the faintest trace of dust.

           She paused just over the threshold, puzzlement furrowing her brow as she shifted in the direction to where the maid waited. "I do not understand."

           "Miss?" the maid questioned with uncertainty.

           "I thought ..." Elle hesitated, debating whether or not to divulge her horrid expectations of her captor, that she had fully anticipated being pitched into some forlorn chamber where she would spend the duration of her captivity.

           "What chambers are these?" she inquired.

           "These are the lady's chambers, miss."

           Elle's mouth parted with astonishment, taken aback by this unforeseen kindness. Why would Lord Rossetti allot her such comely accommodations?

           "Is there nothing else I can do for you, miss?"

           She managed a small shake of her head.

           "Very well, then. I have already stoked the fire. You'll find that it gets a bit cold here at night. If you'll just make yourself comfortable I will see to bringing you supper shortly."

           The door closed with a resounding boom, leaving Elle to the emptiness of the room. She listened to the rhythm of sounds offered to her, but strangely enough, the chambers were flat of noise, all but the clamor of wood burning within the hearth. The frequencies of sound were what aided her in depicting a visual path, without that, she had no perception of the things around her aside from what she discerned beneath her touch.

           Her throat constricted around the knot of fear lodged there as she exhaled an uneasy breath. Not wanting her trepidation to get the best of her, Elle tightened her grip around the crest of her wooden staff and set to exploring the chambers. She maneuvered her way around, the end of her staff connecting with various objects of the room. She uncovered a wooden chest with bracketed feet, a small table sheathed in fine linen and an adorning upholstered chair with embellished cushions. Her foot caught on the lining of a carpet and she knelt, her skirts pooling around her as her hand grazed delicately over the embroidered covering.