Chapter Twenty

this chapter is more of a filler chapter than anything, leading to more drama in the next one :) Don't be too harsh please, I'll fix it up a bit when I get the chance.

As always plese ENJOY! :):

Chapter Twenty:

“W-what?” I stammered staring openly in shock at Jayden, who had just delivered the news I didn’t want to hear.

He didn’t look too impressed himself.

After the events that had happened on Christmas my thoughts were equally occupied by both Jayden and Jake, his mysterious cousin, who had somehow become the only person to know.

But how much did he know?

How much had he seen?

And more worryingly - had he said anything?

My stomach turned just thinking about it. I didn’t know what I expected to happen after Christmas, but I knew what I hoped to happen. I was hoping that Jake would fully disappear from my life and forget entirely about me.

What I hadn’t seen coming was for Jake to start attending our school.

 Jayden ran a hand through his already messy hair – making me wonder just how often he had done that today. “I know.” He groaned. “He’s been such a nightmare all through the holidays.” He said, with a deep frown etched into his face. “Now my mum wants me to ‘bond’ with him and show him around, introduce him to people, and whatnot.”

I bit down on my lip, feeling my heart starting to speed in my chest.

I forced my breathing to remain normal. This made the ‘ignore the problem in hopes that it would go away’ plan I had in action a lot harder to accomplish.

“Hey – are you okay, you’re looking a little sick.” Jayden asked concernedly, snapping me out of my thoughts.

I cleared my throat, as we reached my locker. “I’m fine.” I muttered, avoiding his eyes as I lied. I certainly did not feel ‘fine’. Whatever the opposite of fine was, that was what I was feeling right then.

“You sure.” He double-checked. “You’ve not been doing anything stupid like sleeping on your front porch in the middle of winter?” He asked.

I gave him a flat look. “Funny.” I said sarcastically.

Jayden’s lips didn’t so much as twitch upwards. “I’m not joking, Kayleigh. You could have gotten yourself seriously sick.” He told me, not for the first time either.

I sighed. “I know Jayden. But don’t get your knickers in a twist. I haven’t done it again since your first lecture. But if you give me a fifth one I’m going to do it just to spite you.” I told him, trying to shake off his hovering concern.

I still wasn’t comfortable with him handing it out so freely to me. I had done nothing to deserve it. I didn’t know what to do with it.

Jayden frowned deeply, but let it go.

I felt a stab of guilt in my gut, but I pushed it away.

“So…” I said changing the subject back to what it had been before. “When is Jake starting?” I asked, pulling the books I was now carrying closer to my chest as I juggled to close my locker door shut.

“Here.” Jayden said, taking the stack of books out my hands.

“Uh th-thanks.” I said feeling a little stunned. I shook my head trying to straighten my thoughts. Jayden was always doing sweet things like that; you’d think by now it would have stopped surprising me so much.