16. A Family Reunion

Start from the beginning

Barbossa's voice echoed through the cave. "For ten years we've been tested and tried, and each man jack of you here has proved his mettle a hundred times over and a hundred times again!"

All the men cheered, including a voice, which Narissa thought she recognised, saying painfully "Suffered, I have!" She tried hard to remember who that voice belonged to.

"Punished, we were. The lot of us, disproportionate to our crimes!" At her father's words, Narissa scoffed; she thought they deserved every existing curse for their betrayal.

With a smile growing on her face at the spectacle he was pulling off, she commented "He really enjoys drama."

Jack muffled a laugh. "He always liked being the centre of attention."

Kicking off the chest's lid to reveal hundreds of golden coins, Barbossa continued. "Here it is! The cursed treasure of Cortés himself. Every last piece that went astray, we have returned... Save for this." He held the medallion that hung from Elizabeth's neck. She stiffened at the proximity of his hand. Once again, Will tried to go save the love of his life. With his harsh movement, some of the treasure at his feet fell down the sloped floor, making some noise.

Jack pulled him down and whispered "Not yet. We wait for the opportune moment."

The young man was getting tired of the pirate's mysterious plans; it looked like he didn't intend to save Elizabeth. He knew he was up to something. "When's that? When it's of greatest profit to you?"

Grabbing his arm, Jack carried him away from the opening. "May I ask you something? Have I ever given you reason not to trust me?" He didn't let Will answer to that and kept talking. "Do us a favor, I know it's difficult for you, but please stay here and try not to do anything stupid." Holding Narissa's hand tightly once again, Jack took her away with him. She looked back at her friend one last time and mouthed the words Trust him.

Meanwhile, Barbossa took a knife, his voice was heard clearly. "Begun by blood... By blood undone." His knife sliced Elizabeth's hand, which surprised her, since she had thought he'd kill her for her blood. However, the pirate didn't think it was necessary to do so.

All of a sudden, Narissa heard a loud bang next to her, the tight hold on her hand was loosened and Jack dropped to the floor in a second.

"Sorry, Jack." She heard and turned around to see Will with an oar in his hands. He had knocked him out. "I'm not going to be your leverage."

Shocked by her friend's actions, Narissa instantly dropped on her knees and shook Jack's shoulders in a try to wake him up.

Will looked down at her frowning. "Come on, Narissa, you heard him. We must leave him behind. Pirate's Code."

She looked at her friend for a second with glossy eyes. "The Code is more like guidelines, anyway." Her father had taught her that long ago.

Impatiently, the man responded "If you stay, you'll have to face Barbossa." She knew this, but she couldn't leave Jack to die.

"I will face him if I can protect Jack," she told him determined. Will stared at her, feeling betrayed. He couldn't understand why she trusted him so much; he was sure that Jack was going to betray them. "I can't leave him behind," she finished with a weak voice.

With a final sigh and a nod, Will left to save Elizabeth while the still cursed pirates argued about what had gone wrong. The curse hadn't been broken after slicing the girl's hand and using her blood. They eventually found out that she was not a Turner, as she had told them, so she wasn't the person they needed.

Narissa kept shaking Jack's shoulders, whispering "Come on, Jacky. We gotta get out of here, please!" She was getting anxious. The more time it took to wake him up, the closer her father would get. "Don't make me slap you, Jack."