9 - The Daily Bugle

Start from the beginning

A smile was already creeping onto my lips and just like that, my crappy mood was nothing but a blip in the back of my mind because being here, around so many like minded people, I could finally pretend my life wasn't crumbling around me. 

***

By the time half past five o'clock rolled around, I knew Peter wasn't showing up outside the Avengers Tower to meet me. With a huff, I tugged my bag up my shoulder and hurried through the rain, finding myself heading towards his own work location. I had been inside the Daily Bugle only once, that time being the day I had apologised to Peter about freaking out about his secret identity. Now, I was hiking through the lobby, bypassing the reception area in search for him. When the elevator dinged open, my head snapped up to find Peter standing in the metal box, his eyes growing wide with the very sight of me here. "Flo, hey."

My lips twisted into a scowl, "Pete, you're late and I'm now soaking wet because I had to walk four blocks hoping you would still be here and hadn't gotten dragged off for your internship." I used his codeword, spying the old lady next to him who was paying far too much attention to us. 

"I'm sorry, you know I am." Peter was saying, a hand lightly curling around my arm and hurrying us out of the newspaper building lobby and away from prying eyes of reporters always on the look out for a scoop. We stood under some cover, the rain heavy outside still. I shook off his grip, crossing my arms over my chest. "Work ran late, okay? Mr. Jameson was on a warpath, he just wouldn't let me leave." 

A sigh was falling from lips, knowing I wasn't being fair. We had plans and yes, those said plans were now ruined but at least he hadn't blown me off to run around for Iron Man today. I knew his work with Tony was important but today, I was actually thankful I hadn't been stood up for Spider-Man. "Don't worry about it. This weather pretty much ruined our plans anyway." I was forcing a smile, hoping he couldn't see the guilt for being angry at him in my eyes. 

Suddenly, a car was pulling over towards the curb. A splash of water reached our shoes, the car horn honking twice. With a frown already on my forehead, the window slid down and I met the shining eyes of Betty Brant. "Come on, kiddies. Let me drive you home." Betty Brant gave that signature flirty smile. 

My gaze were turning towards Peter and he only shrugged once before making a quick dash to his coworker's beaten up Volkswagen Beetle in an ugly shade of green and I followed suit. The car roared to life as I dropped my bag to the floor, glancing out the window as the rain poured down, a clap of thunder stirring in the dark colours. Betty flicked on the radio, a new segment from Trish Walker filling the quietness. 

"Florence, nice to see you again." Betty winked across at me, checking her rearview mirror before pulling away from the curb. The striking raven haired asian was beyond flirty, but it was something you got used to. I had briefly met her a few months back, having been quite flustered with her bold flirting towards me, despite knowing I was somewhat involved with Peter at the given time. 

I gave her a quick smile, "You too, Betty." 

"Uh, lovely weather, isn't it?" Betty went on and my eyes moved towards the window, watching the city blur by as the sky crackled with thunder and lightning. As my thoughts drifted, I could softly hear the start of a conversation flowing between the two of them as I placed my head against the cold glass. 

My eyes closed for only a second but it was enough time for my eyelids to play a flash of scenes, bits and pieces of a story coming to life in my mind. I saw girls falling again, along with a hand tainted green. It was the very same things again, the scenes on replay for what felt like forever. But just as I came out of it, something new flashed in my eyes. What looked strangely like a wing of a bird, dripping in blood. With a tiny gasp, my eyes snapped open. Peter was leaning over from the backseat, a hand placed over my shoulder, silently asking if something was wrong with his eyes. Betty was still rambling on about some vague topic about work when I gave him a nod of my head, letting him know I was alright. 

But that was a lie because I was the furtherest thing away from alright.

- author's ramblings -

omg so many familiar faces. We've got Darcy Lewis, the queen of sass and we've got my lovely Betty Brant returning, she'll be more involved soon too. We've also got Poppy Thayer, who some may know from WWGD, although she's much more grown up now. We've got a few familiar faces coming into the story soon too, so get ready! As you guys might have picked up, right now in the story timeline it's still months before from the bulk of Homecoming. I'm gonna' continue doing my own AU section which will bleed into Homecoming soon enough, you'll notice when the movie's storyline comes into play, don't worry. I'm still planning and figuring out a few details that I hope everyone will enjoy. My story will not be exactly like Homecoming, fair warning. The stunning gif picspam was created by rebellionofhope, thank you so much! Well, that's enough rambling, please leave your wonderful thoughts, they mean so much to me. 

- tinkertaydust