FIVE

FIVE • BROTHER, BROTHER

"SOMETIMES IT'S HARD TO FORGET SOMEONE THAT GAVE YOU SO MUCH TO REMEMBER

"SOMETIMES IT'S HARD TO FORGET SOMEONE THAT GAVE YOU SO MUCH TO REMEMBER."

The cold metal chair irritated Natalia's back. She leaned forward on the table, shifting her weight on the seat. She was back in the interrogation room. Her fingers began to drum on the table, before she finally heard the door open.

A voice came from the entry way. "Hello Natalia." Her eyes drifted to the man who was now placing himself in the chair across from her. "My name's Agent Hotchner. I'd like to talk with you."

"I've already talked."

"Not about what I'm going to say next."

There was a silence that overtook the room. Natalia didn't answer, leaving room for Hotch to finish his statement.
"Ms. Boone, we're providing you an option. If you decide to stand trial, you could be facing 25 years to life on accounts of drug trafficking and accessory to murder."

"Or?"

"We have the power to help financially support your family and give you a real home in Quantico."

"What's the catch?"

"You join the BAU."

Natalia raised her brow in suspicion and leaned back in the chair.

"Natalia, you are able to analyze people better than half the agents in this building, meaning -"

"Meaning you need me." Her eyes met Hotch's.

"It's a real job with a steady income." He leaned forward onto the desk and waited for her response.

"Can I make a phone call?"

"Hey ma." Natalia let a smile cross her face at the sound of her mother's voice. "I wasn't sure if you were gonna pick up."

"Of course I was love. It's so nice to hear your voice. Where have you been?"

There was a short pause on the line. "Just running around town. Nothing important. Is Lincoln there?"

"He's laying in bed. Do you want to talk to him?"

"Please, if you don't mind."

There was a slight shuffle, and then the sound of someone coughing.

"Lincoln?"

"Hey Talia."

"Hey." Natalia let out a light chuckle.

"Why'd you call? Haven't heard from you in a while."

"Can I get some brotherly advice?"

"Sure. What about?"

"I, uh.. I was offered a job."

"That's great, Tali!"

"No, it's not. Let's just say, hypothetically, you used to work with a very dangerous person. Then you got caught. You were given an offer: if you decided help the cops, you get rewarded. If you decide not to help the cops, you get put in jail for a long time. Would you help them, even if it meant that you were most likely going to be targeted by this very dangerous person?"

"Natalia, what did you do?"

"The less you know, the better."

"Do you want the job?"

"I... I don't know."

"Take it."