one | wishes do come true

Jane had a strange dream.

It consisted of a man in a dark robe, a flashing green light, a blood-curdling scream, two babies crying, the loud revving of a motorbike, and a face of an old man with a long beard and half-moon glasses.

Definitely strange. But definitely familiar.

"Jane!" a stern called from the kitchen. "Get your arse out of bed!"

Jane sighed, sitting up in her small, creaky bed, glancing around her tiny room. "Yes Aunt Gertie," she called back, rubbing her eyes to rid them of their sleepy haze.

Jane reluctantly pulled the covers off her body and got dressed in an old flannel and ripped up jeans before hobbling down the stairs, nearly tripping over her own feet. There, at the foot of the stairs, stood Gertrude Tyler, lips pursed and arms crossed.

To Jane's knowledge, parents died due to unknown circumstances when she was a baby. So, she was mysteriously dropped off at the doorstep of her Aunt Gertrude.

The woman had a pointy face with a beak nose and small thin lips, stuck in a permanent scowl. Her hair was a pale blonde color, her eyes an icy blue, residing behind a pair of cream colored horn-rimmed glasses. Gertrude and Jane didn't get along most of the time due to her stern and cold personality, as well as her elusiveness about Jane's parents. For some reason she didn't reveal much about her brother and Jane's father, Samuel, only to the extent of saying he always got everything he wanted because he was a "spoiled, troublesome brat." Gertrude also rarely mentioned Jane's mother, Margaret, and whenever she did she did so in an angry and bitter fashion, often using these rare moments to blame Margaret for her and Samuel's mysterious demise. Of course Jane didn't believe her, because why would she? If Gertrude had a personal grudge against her parents then of course she was going to be biased about her perception of them.

However little her aunt spoke of her parents, Jane has learned that she is the spitting image of her mother, with her heart-shaped face, pale skin, hazel eyes, and abundance of freckles dotting her nose and upper cheeks, her long and wavy honey blonde hair being the only thing contributed from her father's half of Jane's DNA. Jane only discovered these details from limited information from her aunt and from photos she dug up from cleaning the basement. They were slightly ruined from water damage and time, but they were all Jane had to reference to.

Her mother did in fact look incredibly similar to Jane, only with dark brown, curly hair that went down to her collar bone. Her smile was warm, and her eyes seemed all-knowing and mischievous. Jane often imagined if her mother was like her in any way, considering they looked so much alike. But it seemed she'd never truly know.

Her father, on the other hand, looked kind and light-spirited with a wide and bright smile, and friendly, sparkling blue eyes. His skin was much tanner than Margaret's, as if he lived his whole life in he sunlight. Jane liked to think he was more adventurous than her mother, and made her mother see things differently when they fell in love.

She didn't even know if they were in love, but telling by the photo of the two of them with a baby Jane cradled in Margaret's arms, she'd like to think they were. They were close to each other and looked happy. What changed? Did anything change? What happened? Sadly, Jane knew none of the answers to any of her questions, leading her to hold spite against her aunt for not giving these answers she was sure she knew.

In Jane's mind, Gertrude hated her because of Jane's knack for getting in trouble. She's often defiant, not always follow orders which Gertrude despises, and her always getting in trouble at school. In the previous April, for example, a mean girl named Susan Sprayberry was spreading rumors about Jane, saying she cheated on tests and stole from teachers. Jane told her if she kept on lying, her pants would catch on fire. Susan laughed and called her stupid, only for her skirt to go up in flames. Jane tried to tell her Aunt Gertrude she had nothing to do with it, but she didn't believe her and grounded her for a week, lecturing that she needed to control herself.