Awake

Eva

"Wake up, Eli!" I scream frantically, shaking my brother. My heart is beating like a drum out of rhythm. Baboom boom boom. My cold hands are holding my brother, trying to wake him up, but nothing is happening. "Stay here" I whisper to my brother and I hope for a response. I sigh quietly and sneakily walk to the chamber's doors. I peak my blonde head out into the corridors and graze the halls with my eyes. Scarlet red lights are blinking rapidly as the sirens go off. One guard is at the end of the hallway, holding his shotgun tightly in his hands. Shit. Think think think. I peak to the right, seeing that it's empty on that side. I don't want to risk it, but it's my only option. I'll get killed if that guard to the left spots me. But if I don't go... Eli... What would I do to help him? I bite my bruised lip and scan the storage room that we are trapped in. Boxes upon boxes are stacked, filled with useless items like cloth and old boots. I peer under the racks and I spot a jagged rock. Bingo. My black and purple arm reaches under the rack and as I grab the stone I feel warmth flood my arm. I pull it out quickly and notice my forearm is bleeding. It must've scraped against something. No time to think about that, though. I know what I have to do. I inhale and walk slowly towards the doorway. I wait for the guard to turn around to look at the clock, because he does it every five minutes. When he peers over his shoulder I hold my breath and run towards him. I slam the sharp stone against his head, hitting  him over and over in the temple. He falls to the ground. I didn't kill him, but I definitely bought me some time. Reaching down, I grab the heavy shotgun that the unconscious man once held and I hold it to my chest. My heart is beating rapidly now and the adrenaline kicks into overdrive. It's fucking go time.