Blurring The Lines {5}

I was beyond relieved when Mr. Kean stood up, checking the clock in the room. He'd moved around the classroom, patiently helping Isaac and impatiently snapping at the Maroons whenever they had a question. I'd kept to myself, struggling my way through my work.

                "That'll do for today's session," he announced. "We'll meet again tomorrow. Jin, Isaac, have your lists."

                Everyone leaned back in their chairs and began packing up their things. Mr. Kean made his way over to me.

                "You were quiet, Kai. How did your work go?" he asked.

                "It was fine," I said. "I'm crippled, not stupid."

                He looked flustered. "Oh, no, I wasn't implying..." He cleared his throat. "I'm here to help you with your work. Any questions at all, don't be shy to ask."

                "Yea, I'll be sure to do just that," I said.

                Mr. Kean hurried back over to his desk to gather his stuff. So he was one of those people who didn't know how to react when I brought up my leg.

                He glanced back at us before leaving the room. Isaac peeked out of the door before letting out a relieved sigh.

                "He's gone," he said, turning to Jin.

                "I have eyes," Jin said, slinging his bag over his shoulder. He pulled his hat down over his white hair. His eyes, a piercing blue, fell to me. "First time seeing how the Maroons are treated, huh?"

                "Jin, let him leave," Lev said.

                "I was just making an observation," Jin said. He swayed on his feet a bit and leaned against his desk. "He'll know the truth of this place soon enough anyways."

                "The truth of this place?" I said, raising an eyebrow.

                "That the Maroons get the shit kicked out of them," Karson said helpfully. "You pampered little Blues wouldn't understand. There's a reason the Maroons call this place Conversion Academy."

                Isaac gave a sweet smile. "We're allowed to get away with stuff like this." He pulled his foot back and let it fly, making rough contact with Karson's shin.

                Karson yelped and jumped back, glaring at Isaac. "You rotten little bastard. I'll shove you in that trash can where you belong."

                Jin kicked Karson's other shin. "Shut up."

                "You can't gang up on me!" Karson said, glaring at Jin. "That's not fair. You have the little bastard on your side."

                "He's nine, Karson. If he hurts you that badly, you're pathetic," Jin said.

                "Look this is great and everything, but I'm out," I said, heading towards the door.

                I lost my grip on my cane as Karson kicked it out of my hands. I wobbled but managed to catch my balance on a desk as my cane fell to the floor.

                "Just thought I'd get a shot in before the Blues have you using that thing as a weapon on us," he said with a sly smile.