Chapter Two

Despite Skyee saying the night before that she would wake herself and Svani up early they were rudely jolted awake by someone slamming through their door, banging loudly on something metallic.

"Wake up newbloods!" a feminine voice called as they pulled the sheets off of Skyee's body, the chill a rude intrusion to Skyee's warm body. "The sun's up and I want to get moving!" Skyee was confused. Her mother had never woken her up like this before or this early.But then yesterday's events all came flooding back to her. She had left Shor and was a new student at Dragonstone Academy! Faro loomed over Skyee as she opened her eyes, smiling devilishly down at the younger girl.

"I'm ready for a dragon!" Skyee called sleepily as she jumped out of bed, making Faro stumble back in surprise. Svani laughed tiredly as she pulled her leather boots on. Skyee attempted to remove the knots from her hair with just her fingers. She didn't have time to rummage through her rucksack for her comb.

"Skyee,you will be flying with me to Yonderi Island. Svani you will be doubling with Breten again". Faro ushered the girls excitedly out of their room, joining the flow of students hurrying down the staircase and out into the courtyard where multiple dragon riders sat perched on their dragons. Dragons of all shapes and sizes met Skyee's tired vision. There were too many to name right at that moment.

"Everyone find a rider to pair up with!" Gregor ordered as he climbed onto Silverblood, but he glared angrily at anyone who came close to ask to pair up with him. That is until the large boy with dirty blond hair in the ponytail approached; it was the boy from the forge yesterday. Gregor smirked and allowed him to climb onto Silverblood, the dragon shifting uncomfortably when the boy dug in his heels.

"C'mon Skyee!" Faro called as she expertly leaped into Ruby's sleek saddle. This time when she mounted the dragon Skyee did it with a little more grace but definitely not as fluidly as Faro. It was kind of awkward to sit behind Faro as the older girl had a rucksack slung over her shoulder. In fact every dragon rider did. Skyee was puzzled as to what they were for. Were we supposed to bring something? But none of the other new students had a rucksack over their shoulders.

"Rider's ready!" Gregor called to the crowd. The riders all gave a hoot of excitement as the dragons launched into the air. There were many screams from the other newbloods but Skyee was pleased that she hadn't made a sound this time. The hoard of dragons turned sharply to the right of the Academy. One poor boy actually slipped off of the dragon he was riding on, but the rider quickly made their dragon dive and catch the boy gently in the dragon's sharp claws. From then on he stayed where he was.

"How long until we reach Yonderi Island?" Skyee shouted over the wind.

"About an hours ride!" Faro called as she swerved Ruby in small zigzags, making Skyee giggle at the annoyed looks of the riders closest to Faro and Ruby.

Skyee occupied her time by grazing her eyes over the different variety of dragons. Faro made small talk every other moment, but each sentence would ease back into tense silence. Skyee was too excited to talk.

"Riders prepare to land!" Gregor called surprisingly loud over the rushing wind as a large island came into view after the long ride. Skyee was awestruck when all of the riders pulled into a straight V-line, the Sabrewings taking point up front. They circled around the island and landed on the beach at the far side from where they had come. All of the newbloods slipped off of the dragons, taking in the beauty of the island and stretching out their tired limbs.

"Your objective is to make your way across the island and to the other side from which we came," Breten called. "Collect your rucksacks from the riders that you came with". Faro handed Skyee her rucksack with a smile. "Inside you will find a variety of food for the dragons and a bunch of stimberries, which if thrown into a dragon's mouth will calm them down enough to begin the bonding process".