|one|

I ran a hand through my hair, my lips quivering. I held the small box in my hands, it's smiling pregnant lady on the front taunting me. For something so small, it held so much meaning. So much could go so wrong if I opened the contents of this small box. God Beverly, what are you thinking. There is not a chance you could be pregnant. You've done everything right. You're life is perfect. I pressed my head against the wall as tears filled my eyes.

"Bev!" I heard my mom call from downstairs. "You need to go to school!"

I took a deep breath, and splashed water onto my face. "You're okay," I whispered to my reflection.

I went through the first half of the day with my head spinning, I found Jenna, my best friend, at lunch, and quickly walked over to her. She passed me a cup of coffee, a grin on her face.

I forced a smile as I picked up the cup. But she could tell something was wrong.

"Talk."

"Oh my god." I wrapped my arms around her, tears filling my eyes.

"Tell me," Jenna said.

"I have an issue," I said, biting my lip. I watched the steam rise from my coffee, freaking out.

"What?" Jenna asked, worry filling her eyes.

"I think I'm," I squeezed my eyes shut. "Pregnant."

"What!" Jenna screamed, causing attention from surrounding tables. "Beverly, oh my god!"

"I know!" I slammed my head against the table.

"Are you positive!" Jenna lowered her voice. "Did you take a test?"

"No," I sighed. "I'm scared."

"Honey." Jenna held my hand. "You need to tell Cole."

I frowned. Cole. Of course. My boyfriend, who I loved very much. Who got me into this mess. What was he going to think?

"I can't!" I cried, crossing my arms. "He'll hate me!"

Jenna rolled her eyes. "It's his baby, right? Unless you're not telling me something."

"No it's his." I smiled softly. "I'm terrified."

"I know," Jenna said. "But it will be okay."

"Okay," I said quietly.

"I have to go," she said. "Call me when you know the test results."

I nodded, and looked over to where Cole was sitting. With all his football friends.

I stood up and started walking towards him, my hands shaking.

"Beverly!" Cole smiled as I approached him. "What do I owe the pleasant surprise?"

"Um," I said, running a hand through my hair nervously. "I need to talk to you."

"Have a seat." Cole scooted over, making room for me.

"Could we, like, talk privately?" I frowned.

"Anything you can say to me you can say to the team." Cole gestured at the group of nearly forty-five boys.

"Oh, um, okay." I sat down uncertainly, my hands still shaking. "I-I think I'm pregnant."

The boys said nothing. Cole's face turned red, and I gasped as he stormed out of the cafeteria, pulling me with him.

"Cole, we need to-"

He slammed me against a row of lockers, shutting me up. "What is wrong with you!" He roared, tightening his grip on my arms.

"What?" I whimpered slightly.

"Do you know what this means for me?" Cole screamed at me. "I could get kicked off the football team! And I'm captain!"

"I-I'm sorry." I looked to the ground, tears filling my eyes.

"Beverly." Cole loosened his grip on my arms. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be rough."

"It's fine." I wiped my teary eyes.

"But I can't do this," he said. I looked at him with wide eyes. "I don't want to be involved."

"Cole!" I cried as I watched him walk away. I slumped onto the ground, and started crying. I couldn't believe Cole left me. He left me to deal with this on my own.

I continued crying until I heard someone standing over me. "Hey."

"Hi." I laughed in spite of my crying self. The boy who talked to me helped me to my feet. He was gorgeous. But I'd never seen him in my life.

"I'm Grayson." He smiled, and it was as if he had read my mind.

"Beverly," I said.

"What's wrong, Beverly?" Grayson asked, putting his hands on my shoulders and lowering himself to my level.

"I'm pregnant, my boyfriend left me, I'm all alone," I felt tears spill down my face. "And on top of it all, I'm embarrassing myself in front of some hot guy who probably thinks I'm insane."

"Hey, hey." Grayson smiled softly at me. "It's okay. I don't think you're insane."

He pulled me into a hug, and even though I didn't know him, I squeezed him back.

"Now, you should go get yourself cleaned up," Grayson said.

"Thank you." I wiped my eyes as I walked away, and I could feel Grayson watching me as I turned the corner.

I got home with a massive headache. Everything about this day sucked. But what sucked even worse was pulling out that box again. I was not ready to take the test. I took the small test out of the box.

That was the scariest moment of my life. Worse than any other test or final I've ever had to take. Worse than finding out if I made the cheer team or not freshman year.

And as I watched the results come, my thumb was raw from me chewing on it.

Positive.

Only the worse thing I have ever laid my eyes on. I began to cry. This was real. I was pregnant. I was having a baby.

I changed into my pajamas and curled up into my bed. I had to call Jenna.

"Jen." I sobbed into the phone.

"Honey," Jenna said. "It's okay." She already knew without having to tell her.

"What do I do!" I cried, wiping tears off my face.

"I don't know Bev." I could hear the worry in Jenna's voice.

"I'm so scared," I whimpered.

"Let me come over, Beverly," Jenna said. "I can help."

"No," I said softly. "I think I need to be alone."

"Call me if you need me."

I hung up the phone, turned off my light, and cried myself to sleep.

Hey guys!
I'm so excited to be remaking Coffee Boy! Thanks so much if you read Coffee Boy and are reading this!

-Harper