Early Morning Knocks

Annabelle

The next day I wake up to someone knocking at my door. Rolling out of bed, I readjust my cami and shorts before leaving my bedroom. The sun blinds me through the white curtains blowing in the breeze from the open windows I forgot to shut last night. Red blinking numbers on the cable box yell at me for sleeping in late. Shuffling my feet, I head to the door and look through the peephole. I don't see anyone staring back at me. "Hello?" No one responds, so I open the door. An envelope with my name written on it in a familiar scrawl lays on the ground. Looking down the hall, I don't see anyone coming or going. I close the door and shuffle over to the kitchen counter.

Opening the envelope a plane ticket falls out along with a letter.

Anna,

I know all you want is an adventure, so here you go. I have everything ready for you when you arrive. The plane leaves today at noon. Make sure to give yourself plenty of time to get through security and raid the terrible airport stores. When you arrive in London, an obnoxious man will be waiting for you there (hopefully with a sign). His name is Caleb. This is a one-way ticket.

Will Miss You,

Maverick

The handwriting overshadows the actual words of the letter until I figure out where I have seen it before: the crane. I stumble over to my bag sitting by the door and pull out the note I found months ago in the coffeeshop. Sitting against the door, I read the note again, even though the words have become my motto.

You're an amazing writer. I believe you can do anything. Just get out from this booth, A.

Reading both notes again invites a flurry of butterflies to invade my stomach. I try to decide whether to accept the gift or not. This is the opportunity I always wanted, but it would mean no more early mornings with Maverick or crazy baked goods from Jess. I sit on the floor for ten more minutes before ignoring the cautious side of me. You told Maverick you wanted this last night. Just do it. Rushing across the apartment, I dive into my bedroom and pull everything together.

When I close the last bag half an hour later, I grab my keys, head down the stairs, taking them two at a time, and rush out the front doors. Jules attempts to grab my attention, but I ignore him, ready to head to England.