Chapter 14 - Pure of Heart

Start from the beginning

 "Stiles, where are we going?" Scott asked, breathing hard.

 "It's this place Emma and I went to all the time this summer," I said, panting even more myself. "I used to go there with my mom,"

 Scott didn't say anything, instead he gripped the door handle so hard his knuckles were turning white. I am currently going forty over the speed limit. I don't care though. Eric said it wouldn't take long for their ancestors to show up, so I have to get to Emma as fast as possible.

 "Wait," said Scott, turning his head towards me abruptly. "What do we do once we find her?"

 "I - " I hadn't really thought about it, to be honest. My mission has just been so focused on finding her that I never really thought about what to do if I did. "'I'll talk to her,"

 "Is that gonna work?"

 "We just have to draw her back out, as herself," I said. "I can do it,"

 Scott nodded, but still sat on the edge of his seat. I blew through my third stop sign, knowing that I was getting closer. I was cutting a ten minute drive into about four. I didn't even realize this old jeep could go this fast. Maybe it's hyped up on adrenaline too.

 My tires screeched as I slammed on the brakes and brought us to a stop just outside the clearing. I didn't bother retrieving the keys from the ignition before getting out and heading towards the small body of water. No one's going to steal my piece of crap jeep anyways.

 "Stiles," 

 I stopped and looked over to see Scott holding up Emma's cross necklace. She never takes it off, at least not since she first lost her memory. That feels so long ago now. I grabbed the necklace and walked through the small row of trees surrounding the clearing.

 A thump formed in my throat when I saw her standing on the edge of the water. She had taken off her boots and denim jacket, leaving her in just her bright red pants that made me think of my own and a white tank top. Her toes were curled around the dirt, just barely not long enough for the tips to reach the water.

 "Emma," I said, desperation in my voice. I began walking closer when she didn't turn around. Scott came up behind me, but I turned and gave him a look that made him stay in the trees. "Emma,"

 She turned around and my stomach churned as I looked at her. Her body was stiff, not relaxed and loose like it usually is. The skin on her face had gone white and the dark circles that have taken home underneath her eyes the past few days had gained a pinkish tint. Her navy blue eyes were sunken in darkness.

 I held my breath as she began slowly walking towards me. Her strides were long and she swung her hips as she walked, something that is so foreign to her usual act. A smirk danced on her lips as she neared me. This may be Emma's body, but it's not the girl I fell in love with. 

 "Took you longer than I expected," she said. Her voice was haunting, low and never changing in pitch. She kept eye contact with me, something she struggles to do when she talks to anyone. "Finding me,"

 "This isn't you," I said. I swallowed as she began to circle me like prey.

 "This is a better me," she said, scrunching her nose as she spoke. "A me who isn't weak, afraid, powerless,"

 It hurt to know that she wouldn't have said those things if Emma didn't believe that they were true. She isn't any of those things, and she's done plenty to prove that. If she were afraid she wouldn't have fought off Brittany the night of the full moon until we could get help. She's the bravest and strongest person I've ever met. She's just been through things that no teenager should ever have to go through. That's not her fault.