12. Ignorance Isn't Always Bliss

Start from the beginning

"I don't think they are ordinary wolves" Rick mumbled and stepped in front of me cautiously. I glanced up at him with surprise and frowned. 

"Shoo! Go away" Hilary cried out, throwing her arms up and leaping forward. I felt like laughing, but decided it may not be appropriate. Suddenly, Rick knelt down and reached behind me. I stared into his ruby eyes in confusion. 

"I'm sorry this happened to you...I won't let them hurt you, just stay behind me" Rick warned quietly. Was he trying to help?

"What are you going to do?" I asked curiously. I knew none of the wolves would harm me, even if they were mad at me at the moment. But Rick didn't know that and the fact that he wanted to help me made me feel like his transformation was a lot more forced than Hilary's was.

"Protect you" He whispered and stood back up. I stood up with him and remained behind him. I looked over my shoulder and noticed another wolf approach us from behind. My attention diverted to Hilary who pulled a knife from her bag and hold it up to the wolves.

"Stay back! You--you stupid dogs!" She shouted. I'm sure that if she was human her hand would have been shaking in fear. She had no idea that other supernatural being existed and assumed they were just wolves on steroids or something. The thought was truly entertaining me. The wolves gained more ground and slowly approached Hilary who grew more and more afraid. She turned to Rick. 

"We need to figure something out, baby! The taser? The knife? Can we take them down? They are just wolves, right?" Hilary rambled, firing off questions like they were going out of fashion. I hadn't realised how much I had been looking forward to this moment until I saw the terror in her eyes. She had inflicted enough pain on me and other kids within the school and I suppose karma can truly be cruel. Although, I would have rather she be taught another lesson that wouldn't result tin death, such as this one would. However, now she as a vampire and this transformation had inspired confidence and excitement, she had no idea the responsibility and ramifications that would follow. She had no idea that there were others out there that went bump in the night, particularly in La Push and even if she was in Forks, the Cullen's would have questioned her. 

"I don't know" Rick responded, his arm extending to commit to his promise of protecting me, even if I didn't need it.

"Why won't they leave us alone?" Hilary exclaimed, holding out the knife in desperation.

Rick suddenly turned to me and whispered, "I'm going to get you out of here. Slowly, jump onto my back." I glanced at him with a smile and lifted hand to squeeze his arm. 

"They won't hurt me, trust me," I assured him. "You should stand behind me." Rick frowned in confusion.

"I can protect you" He insisted. I sent him a wink. 

"So will they" I promised him. 

"I'm confused" Rick admitted. 

"You!" Hilary exclaimed, eyes frantic as she approached Rick and I. The wolves slowly halted, growing with concern as the knife was in arms length away from me. I, too, kept an eye on it. "Rick, throw her to the wolves so we can run. We can grab another body on the way to Seattle, but for now we have to escap--oh, god. There is another one behind us!" Rick turned his head to glance at the grey wolf that stood metres away from us. His teeth were bared and his back arched in an attack position. He was ready to tear into the vampires the second he was given permission. 

"We can't kill her, Hilary!" Rick muttered. She frowned at him. 

"I thought you were with me?" She questioned. 

"I--I am, but--" 

"You stole him, too!" Hilary screeched, reaching forward and wrapping her hands around my neck. Her strong grip was a second away from snapping my neck, had Rick not wrapped his arm around her torso and threw her away from me. Letting out a cough, I used the trunk for support. My life nearly ended in a matter of milliseconds at the hands of a crazy girl who was acting hysterically. Never in my life had I feared death more than in this moment as I recovered from the feeling of her hands wrapped around my neck. Hilary, on the other hand, cried out angrily and picked something up from the ground, throwing it at such a speed that no one could stop the consequences. 

Suddenly, everything around into a buzzing sound and the commotion of the wolves attacking Hilary faded away from my ears. Cold hands helped me lie back on the ground as a pain seared through my stomach. My legs felt completely numb and useless as I reached towards the pain. My vision cleared up slightly as I was able to make out the sight of three wolves crowded around something in an angry attempt to end it and hovering over my face was Rick's. He looked in just as much pain as I felt and attempted to comfort me. 

"Get the hell away from her!" An angry voice exclaimed, pushing Rick away from me. Paul kneeled beside me, pulling my upper body into his chest. I reached for his warm arm and whimpered at the pain of being moved. "Shït, sorry." 

"I was just trying to help...but the blood" Rick's eyes cast down to my wound and grew mesmerised by the blood escaping from my wound. Paul's chest vibrated as he released a menacing growl.

"Stay away from her or you'll end up like your friend" Paul warned. Rick nodded and stood up, taking a couple of steps away from us. Swallowing the pain from my wound I weakly reached behind me, blindly searching for Paul's arm to grasp his attention. 

"Pa--aul, do--on't let them ki--ill him" I stammered, feeling my eyes growing heavy with exhaustion. Paul frowned. 

"But, Kira, he's a leech and he's dangerous" Paul exclaimed, pushing my hair off my forehead, attempting to decipher my thoughts and reasoning behind my request. I looked up at his eyes and pleaded with him through a longing stare. 

"Cu--ullen's" I muttered, closing my eyes. 

"Hey! Kira, open your eyes!" I summoned every last energy I could muster together and recited a teleportation spell in my mind at least five times before feeling it activate. I close my eyes and land on a cold hard ground. 

15/9/18-

Hello!

Thank  you for reading. This chapter has been edited. 

Hope you have enjoyed it :)