two.

Jennie yawns as she rubs her eye, opening her front door to head for school.

She hadn't been able to sleep last night, tossing and turning for an unknown reason, and was now feeling tired and cranky.

"Morning, neighbor!"

She does her best not to wince, but the energy practically radiating off of Taeyong is a little much at this hour.

"Morning," she does her best to not show her annoyance, although she's sure she's not doing a very convincing job.

"Sleep well?"

Jennie looks at Taeyong, unsure if he's teasing her as she walks up to him. She probably looks terrible—she knows it—yet the boy still smiles cheekily at her as if nothing is out of place, keeping his hands on his backpack straps as the two of them begin to walk to school together, having apparently come to a silent agreement that they were going to do so.

"More or less," Jennie replies when she realizes that Taeyong is still waiting for her to respond to his previous question.

"Do you feel any better from yesterday?"

"Yeah," Jennie sighs. She hadn't meant to let that sigh slip so obviously but is grateful when Taeyong doesn't question it, simply raising a brow at her. He's also quick to change the topic and Jennie quietly thanks him for doing so.

He asks a lot of questions that Jennie does her best to answer, knowing that if she'd gotten proper rest, she would've loved to use this opportunity to get to know the cute boy next door. However, that is not the case and she wishes she could have some peace and quiet. Taeyong doesn't seem to notice her sour mood and if he does, he's simply choosing to ignore this fact.

After what feels like an eternity of listening to him ramble and bombard her with questions, they arrive at school. Taeyong is the first to get noticed by his friends, getting called over. Jennie is internally relieved for the quiet she has to herself but only for a minute as Lisa walks over, linking her arm with Jennie's.

"Good morning!"

Why is everyone so chipper this morning? Jennie sighs again.

"Morning," she replies with the best smile she can muster. She can't wait to sleep tonight.

"Jisoo, Rosé, and I have a spot we like to hang out at before class starts. Wanna join us?"

"Sure," Jennie nods, knowing she doesn't really have a choice as Lisa's already pulling her towards their destination.

The whole day goes by in a drag. Despite it only being her second day of school here, Jennie knows that this will probably be her new routine: walk to school with Taeyong, meet up with her three new friends before class, eat lunch with them, and go home with Taeyong. Her routine at home after school is also predictable: eat dinner, do homework, shower, and sleep.

Sure enough, the first week goes by following that routine to the tee. The weekend has proved to be a good time for Jennie to catch up on any work or sleep, though there's not much she's done outside of that.

By the time Wednesday rolls around, Jennie finds herself begrudgingly sitting on a bus headed straight for the dance studio her mother had signed her up at. When she arrives, she signs in at the reception desk and is told which room to go to. Perhaps it's because she's here and it feels more official, but she can feel her nerves beginning to unsettle.

What if she's the oldest one in a room full of young children as beginners? What if dancing isn't meant for her and she makes a fool of herself?

"Jennie Kim?"

She's shaken out of her thoughts when she sees the instructor standing at the door with a kind smile on her face.