CHAPTER 3: BREATHE ME

When Jerome had agreed to start over he really meant it. Because the guy I was out with that night was no longer the sullen trainer who made my hair stand on end.

He walked me home after the wonderful, spicy dinner.

It was late August and the night was still warm. It had taken a long debate with Megan but my outfit had been the right choice; a pair of yellow shorts, a loose white blouse and heels. I would go with my favorite sandals, had it been my choice.

"Definitely heels!" Megan had insisted. "You have gorgeous legs. He won't be able to take his eyes off them."

I'd let my long, over my arms and shoulders; I always felt safer under its thick cover.

Jerome had passed Megan's test with flying colors. He'd not taken his eyes off me the whole evening. He'd even touched me; light, featherlike touches on my arms and hands. And when I offered him my glass of margarita strawberry -since he'd sloppily spilled his- pushing it to his side, his fingers intertwined mine, his thumb slightly stroking my hand.

For some reason I could not exactly identify, Jerome made me feel really special being there with him. I didn't mind people casting us curious, fleeting glances; well, women mostly. Funny I hadn't noticed that before. Of course, it could be just the double tequila shots that made me see lights.

Jerome was definitely not a man of words. He walked next to me silently, but I wouldn't like it any other way; just the two of us under the starry sky, the sound of my heels on the pebbled pavement breaking the silence of the night.

When he took my hand in his, I felt my heart pound. I could no longer remember why I'd avoided him for so long. At that thought, a chuckle slipped out.

"What's so funny?" Jerome asked playfully.

I smiled bashfully. "It's just strange. We used to avoid each other. And yet, here we are."

"On a date," he said.

"The girls thought you were too gorgeous to be..." The word stuck behind my lips, "...available. They even did a research on you."

The edge of his mouth curled in a faint smile. "So, how about you? Do you find me too gorgeous?" He stopped walking and turned to face me, expecting an answer.

I felt my heart skip a beat, losing myself for a moment into the darkness of his eyes. "That's my place," I changed the subject awkwardly. "Up there." I pointed to the third floor.

"I know." Jerome's eyes never left mine and the butterflies in my stomach had never felt more alive. He was still holding my hand, my skin burnt where he touched.

"So, thanks for dinner. Blue will kill me if she finds out I cheated. We're diet buddies. I was supposed to have only salad and chicken."

"Those chicken burritos were hard to resist. But your secret is safe with me," he smiled, subtly releasing my hand.

"I'd rather go." I was stalling. I knew it and he knew it too. My mouth grew dry and I licked my lips drawing Jerome's gaze to my mouth.

Silence had never been more awkward.

It was Jerome who broke it first.

"Are your friends home yet?" He glanced upwards.

"I don't think so," I said, nervously rummaging my purse for my keys. I wasn't ready to call it a night.

I surprised myself when I turned to ask him, "Would you like to... come upstairs?"

Jerome held on to my gaze. "Sure," he said.