Chapter 2: Etta Tucker

Kendra took a step back. "Who are you? And how do you know my name?"

"Everyone knows your name after you win the Hunger Games, darling." The woman approached with long, graceful steps. "I'm Etta Tucker, President of District 13. It's an honor to have you on our side, Miss Storm."

"Your side?" Kendra blinked. "What do you mean, your side?"

"District 13, lamb. The only place in Panem where people are truly free. Here, there is no such thing as the Hunger Games. You can live the rest of your life without fear of the Capitol." She turned to Morgan. "And as for you, Mr. James, I want to thank you for keeping her alive out there. You are a true champion of the modern world."

"It was my pleasure." He tried to sound unaffected, but Kendra could hear the pride in his voice.

"I hope you find it comfortable here," said President Tucker. "We've done everything in our power to make this place home for you."

She opened the door at the end of the tunnel, and light flooded out. Kendra could see glimpses of a modern-looking building. It seemed harmless enough.

"Don't be shy." President Tucker laughed. "Come along! It's District 13, not the Capitol."

Kendra shrugged and stepped through the doorway. Morgan followed on her heels, as if to make sure that this strange woman wasn't leading them into a trap.

They were standing in a small square alcove with steel-paneled walls that reminded Kendra of a laboratory. There were two elevators, and President Tucker led them into the first.

"I never knew District 13 had a president," Kendra whispered to Morgan.

"Ah, few do," said President Tucker. "Most people don't even know there is a District 13. You, my dear, are one of the very fortunate few."

They entered a circular chamber with hallways branching out in every direction. People in simple, neutral clothes nodded to Kendra as they passed through. The contrast between the flamboyant Capitol citizens and the subdued inhabitants of District 13 was like the difference between a peacock and a dove. The rooms, too, were clean and straightforward, rather than overindulgent and ridiculous.

Thinking of ridiculousness reminded Kendra of Donny Grier. A former host of the Hunger Games broadcasts, he'd been arrested for helping her survive. She jogged up to President Tucker, whose long strides carried her quickly down the corridors. "Madam President, do you know anything about what's happening to Donny Grier?"

"Donny Grier." Her voice was bitter. "Another example of the Capitol's cruelty. Any hint of rebellion, and they quell it like slapping a fly. They charged him with high treason. He was executed this morning."

Kendra stopped walking. Executed. Because of her. Another life on her conscience. He had always been a silly, annoying fellow, but really he was just lonely, and she had even started to think of him as a friend.

"No," was all she could say.

"Typical of the Capitol," said President Tucker. "Heartless and thoughtless. They delight in causing others pain. And that, Miss Storm, is why we need you."

"I can't bring Donny back." Her voice trembled, and she swallowed so she wouldn't break down in front of President Tucker.

"Of course not; no one can. But you have a power that no one else has. You are the future. You are one of the brave few who dare to speak out when the rest of the world has been forced into silence. And in silence, one voice can reach thousands. You are the face of this revolution. I believe in you, Kendra Storm."