- chapter five: holly jolly [ part one ]

"you're the idiot, psycho."

—

erin, mike, lucas, and dustin all stood in mike's basement the next day. except for eleven, who sat on the couch with the walkie-talkie.

"we just tell our parents we have av club after school. that'll give us at least a few hours for operation mirkwood." mike said.

they all looked around at each other as they hovered around the table. "you seriously think that the weirdo knows where will is?" lucas asked and erin looked at him.

"just trust me on this, okay?" mike asked. lucas said a soft, "okay" as he leaned up. "did you get the supplies?" mike asked.

"yeah," lucas responded, reaching down for his backpack. "binoculars... from 'nam." he laid it on the table. "army knife... also from 'nam. hammer, camouflage bandana... and the wrist rocket." he laid all of them out on the table and held the wrist rocket up proudly.

"you're gonna take out the demogorgan with a slingshot?" dustin asked. erin looked to lucas with a smirk.

"first of all, it's a wrist rocket. and second of all, the demogorgan's not real. it's made up." lucas said, holding his hands in front of him. "but if there is something out there, i'm gonna shoot it in the eye-" he slung the wrist rocket, making the three of them back up. "-and blind it." he said with ambition.

mike huffed out. "what'd you get, erin?" he asked.

she pulls out a flashlight, a pair of goggles, and a huge black backpack. "i don't have a lot of stuff randomly lying around, but i could carry stuff." she said, but mike smiled as if it would be useful and that made her feel good.

and then mike sighed. "dustin, what did you get?" he asked. dustin took his backpack and dumped out a bunch of... snacks.

"well, alrighty." he started. "so, we've got - nutty bars, bazooka, pez, smarties, pringles, nilla wafers, apple, banana, and trail mix." he said as mike and lucas looked at each other in annoyance while erin simply smiled amusedly at the food on the table and dustin.

"seriously?" lucas asked with a deadpan expression.

"we need energy for our travels. for stamina. and besides, why do we even need weapons anyway? we have her." dustin replied, gesturing to eleven.

"she shut one door!" lucas yelled.

"with her mind! are you kidding me? that's insane!" dustin argued. "imagine all the other cool stuff she could do." he said, holding his hand out to her again. "like..." he seemed to think for a second before he turned around and walked to the small chair to eleven.