A sight he never thought he would see, but not at all an unpleasant one. He liked the way Heyes looked at her, for the first time in his life he saw love in Heyes' eyes, the love for a woman. And Curry liked it. Heyes deserved it. Heyes needed it.

And gosh darned it, even the coffee tasted good!

When Curry almost had finished his cup, he saw Heyes move a little, trying to get a better grip around Chyenne and then move to stand up.

Curry rose to his feet in an instant and hurried over to him, helping him making the adjustment that was needed, and not to wake her up.

Heyes mouthed a thank you to Curry, and then he carried her into the bedchamber, putting her down gently on his own bed, tucking her in.

When he got back into the kitchen; Curry was seated yet again down by the table.

Heyes took a cup and poured some coffee in it, then he sat himself down next to Curry.

He took a sip, then he looked at his partner from behind the cup.

"She's determined to leave tomorrow " his voice was low.

Curry nodded sympathetically. He could detect layers of sadness and hurt in his partners voice.

"I suspected that " he replied.

"She's worried about her folks " Heyes continued, "They must be going through hell all over again, not knowing " his voice trailed off.

Again Curry nodded. Then he sighed, putting his cup to rest on the table.

"We have to get these buffoons to leave somehow "

Heyes leaned his head to the side, a grin almost detectable.

"Buffoons?"

"Yes definitely, buffoons!" Curry also started to grow a smile as he watched his partners face, "They certainly aren't the sharpest tools you know, you'll just need one look and you'll know it."

Heyes grin got wider, and the sly look in his eyes told Curry he had come up with something, some sort of a plan.

"Lack of brain is always good. That is,when it is your opponent who lacks it " Heyes snickered and got up from the table and as usual, started pacing.

Even though Curry wanted his friend to have the luxury of having feelings for a woman, he saw how it also tormented him. He realized Heyes must have taken the deepest fall in history, with Chyenne.

But looking at him now, pacing, pondering. It was like seeing the old Hannibal Heyes, the leader.

Curry observed him, smiling.

"We have to involv Lorne and Millie in this Kid, there is no other way " he turned around facing his friend, " and Chyenne!"

Curry's jaw slacked.

Next morning they all sat around the kitchen table in the boarding house. Heyes, Curry, Chyenne, Lorne and Millie.

Heyes had summoned Lorne and Millie last night, telling them it was of great importence to Chyenne, that they showed up.

This particular morning showed a great promise of a lovely day to come. The earlier threat of a storm coming their way, had fortunately reduced itself into a less breezy wind, and the sun was on a steady climb up in the sky.

The tree just outside the kitchen window staggered from the weight of all the birds up this morning, all with the same goal of catching early worm.

Lorne and Millie sat opposite Heyes and Curry, obviously wanting to know what was going on. Chyenne sat crouched on a chair at one of the ends, haphazardly glancing out the window every now and then. To her own dismay, she realized she gnawed nervously on her own nails. With a resolute gesture, she hid her hands under her legs.