~2~

The second six year old Chloe walked through the doors of Mike's dilapidated ranch house, she knew it wasn't safe. Her two brothers walked in front of her, thinking the exact same thoughts she did. They were scared, too, but tried to stay strong for their sister.

"Okay rugrats, time for the rules." Mike said to the three children. "No running, no yelling, no crying, and absolutely no complaining. Do you hear me?" The three nodded. "Good. Now, breakfast is in this cabinet." He motioned towards a cabinet. "Lunch is in this one." He motioned towards another cabinet. "And I will make you dinner. You will all be sharing a room."

"What about Chloe?" Alex asked. He was used to sharing with Sean, but Chloe was a girl.

"What about Chloe?" Mike asked.

"She's a girl." Alex replied.

"So?" Mike said. "Now go up to bed."

Alex, Sean and Chloe went upstairs to their bedroom which was decorated with tired wallpaper and had two squeaky metal beds.

"I'll take the floor." Chloe sighed and sat down. "I'm already messed up."

Alex sat down next to his sister. "You're not messed up."

"Yes I am." Chloe said. "My brain doesn't work as well as yours and I hear voices all the time."

"That doesn't mean you're messed up." Alex said.

"It kinda does." Chloe said.

"I'm going to share a bed with Sean, so you can sleep." Alex said.

"Hey!" Sean protested, but saw the pain in his sister's eyes. "Yeah, Chlo. Get some sleep."

Chloe climbed into her metal bed and laid awake until sleep took over. She dreamt she was older and singing with a brunette girl. She felt something towards that girl that she had never felt in her entire life. The girl was beautiful and had a great voice. They sang for a while and then the girl's lips met her own and it was magical. Chloe was only six but thanks to that dream, she knew exactly what she wanted in life. She wanted to find that girl.

She tried to be like the other girls, but she couldn't. They all had sleepovers and playdates at each other's houses, but Chloe couldn't participate because she didn't like talking to Mike. Sometimes Mike forced her to talk and that terrified her.

"Well well well, Princess." He greeted as eight year old Chloe stepped into the house. "Not going to talk, are you?"

Chloe shook her head and went to go upstairs, but was blocked by a strong arm.

"Not so fast." Mike said. "You're not going anywhere until you talk to me."

Chloe stared at the tall man with her icy blue eyes.

"You think just because you give me that look, I'm going to let you off the hook?" Mike said. "Well, too bad! Because I'm not letting you leave this room until you speak to me!"

Chloe stood her ground, which she later regretted.

"Speak to me you prissy little-" That's all Chloe remembered. It all went black as Mike's hand slapped her across the face and knocked her to the ground.

Sean entered the room when he heard yelling and saw his sister on the ground.

"What did you do?" Sean asked.

"None of you business!" Mike yelled and pushed Sean away from Chloe. Sean hit his head on the coffee table and saw spots for a moment but stood up and ran upstairs.

"Chloe?" Mike knelt down next to the little girl. It wasn't that he didn't love the kids. He didn't know how to take care of them and was easily angered, causing the outbursts. He really wanted the best for them.

Chloe's eyes opened slowly and she saw Mike standing there.

"Get away from me!" She yelled at the top of her lungs.

"Look at that, I got you to speak." Mike smiled.

Chloe felt warm tears running down her face as she stormed up to the room she shared with her two brothers.