9 - baz

exams are over. it's the last day of school. the sun is shining in a bright blue sky. and baz pitch is stood at a new bus stop he's just starting to get used to, waiting for someone very important.

it all worked out in the end. he moved in with foster parents who own stables on the edge of town. he's happy. at last.

a pair of long tanned arms wrap around his waist, and a freckled face presses into his shoulder. he doesn't need to turn his head to know who it is; he can smell bonfires and dewy grass. (not that he's be able to see simon by just turning his head; simon still barely reaches 5"9.)

"snow."

"basil. you look ravishing, as usual."

"shut up."

"you don't mean that."

"want me to prove it?"

"i'll pass."

instead, simon kisses him. baz blushes and hides behind his hair, but he's grinning. obviously.

"are you on tiptoes, snow?"

"fight me, basilton. i'll be taller than you soon." (he won't.)

the bus pulls up, and simon takes baz's hand, intertwining their fingers. since the day after everything happened, simon and baz have been... an item. and the best part is that nobody even seems to care that much. it's only fitting that when baz actually comes out that people stop calling him a faggot. brilliant.

they find their seats and sit down, pulling out their phones. (simon can almost hear lucy muttering "you bloody kids!") a pair of headphones are pulled out and plugged in.

this time, baz shares his music.

and when they start to get off the bus, baz remembers that david mage exists. because david turns around and sees them holding hands, and starts forming some worthless little comment. but then he trips, and falls out of the bus and into a patch of grimy mud in the drain from where it rained yesterday. he tries to get up, face tomato red, and then slips again, this time hitting his head on a lamp-post. right where the dogs pee on it.

and the best part? just outside school is a tv crew.

"filming live for hampshire local news, i'm jessica murphy and- oh!"

baz starts giggling. and then he can't stop. he's bent double on the pavement, clutching simon's hand and gasping for breath. david's lying in the gutter, face scarlet, covered in mud and glaring.

serves him goddamn right.

-----

penny's waiting for them outside the gates.

"was that mage? oh my god!"

"it was mage," simon grins. baz is still giggling.

they head to their tutor bases. baz feels light, like he's glowing from the inside out. and it's all because of simon.

and baz knows that they'll probably go to uni in three years' time, and simon'll probably meet some blue-haired pretty boy who listens to the 1975, but for once, baz just doesn't care.
there's a spring in his step and a boy in his arms.

and as simon kisses him, he realises that the future doesn't matter. this is now. he has to make the most of it.

simon was right. it turned out okay, in the end.

the end.