"So you had no idea where this tree was? Did Will Jensen know?"

"I didn't have a clue, she didn't tell me. I don't think he knew either, I don't even think she ever took him to that motel either," Harry said, genuinely wanting to give the detectives as much information as possible. "The only person who would've know about that tree and that marking being related to Ruth would've been whoever she carved the I love you for."

...

"So what did he say?" Georgina asked, downing the last of her cup of coffee, already feeling wide awake and reading to conquer the day.

"We need to speak with Ruth's family," Kurt said. "They're the only hope we have at finding out who she dated before Will and Harry."

...

Ruth lived in a very beautiful house, it was rather large and the brown brick layout wasn't too old. A red bricked pathway led through the front lawn and up to the large wooden door, she obviously lived a very luxurious lifestyle - three cars were parked up front and one parked in the garage.

The house was a three story building, large windows and pretty green vines strung over the walls of the house, it looked like a house from a Disney movie.

Georgina and Kurt were stood patiently waiting for somebody to open the door, and when they did they were surprised to find the family dressed in black head to toe. Today was the funeral, and the two detectives didn't realise they stepped in at the wrong time.

"Detectives? What can we do for you," Mr Slater asked quietly, wrapping his arm around his wife's waist as she rubbed under her eyes to rid of the bundle of tears sat there.

"We just had to ask a question about previous partners Ruth was dating," Georgina asked carefully, eyes wanting to look around the room but not wanting to seem rude by snooping.

"As far as we were aware it was just Will and Harry - oh have you heard from Harry? He hasn't got back to us on if he's coming today," of course he wouldn't have he was being locked in a cell for a crime he did not commit.

"We are holding him for questioning, he's deemed himself very useful in our ongoing case," Georgina smiled proudly, she never once thought Harry Styles the prime suspect of this case, the man she was at first slightly frightened of yet rather attracted to, would be now ruled out of the suspects list and now helping the detectives.

"Ruth's case? How is that going? We just want to know who did it," Mr Slater said a little too harshly.

"We have a suspect that we can't name until we are certain. But that's why we're here," Georgina began. "Do any of you know if Ruth was seeing anybody older than her? Way before she met Will."

The parents shook there heads and the three others looked curious, two girls and one boy, they were Ruth's siblings, one of girls and the boy were younger than Ruth and the other girl was just a couple years older than Ruth.

The eldest daughter looked up in realisation as she remembered a very vivid conversation she had with Ruth when Will was dumped. "She text me about some older guy, at first I thought it was Harry but now I know it wasn't!"

"Can you elaborate?" Kurt asked, turning on his recorder so the conversation could be saved word for word.

"Well she just dumped Will and text me telling me all the details of his reaction and everything, then she said she dumped him for this older guy she met around the time she started dating Will," the eldest daughter explained, Georgina couldn't help but think it was all matching up with her unspoken theory. "The older guy turned around and called her a cheater and decided he didn't want to be with her so a couple weeks later she bumped into Harry at some bowling alley and they started dating a little after that. I never heard anything more about the older guy but I know he was definitely older than Harry is."

Georgina knew exactly who this older guy was, she just needed proof to make him not only go down for having sexual relations with a minor - but also for the murder of Ruth Slater. Georgina knew he had to have been the killer, she just needed solid proof of it.

________________________

A/N: we're very close to the end now. Please remember to vote and leave a comment, I really love reading your reactions as you read it's cute!!!

Republished: 10, Dec, 2018