Chapter 1: You're Trouble

"Stay where you are." Rolf wears a trench coat that covers his whole body and only makes his bald head stand out even more.

He stares at me and smiles but it quickly disappears as his eyes scan over to the figure next to me.

"Unus autem de his, turbatus." The Latin slips from his lips in a whisper. His eyes are wild and terrified.

I have known Rolf since I was a little girl. He's one of the Resistance trusted warriors and one of my father's good friends. I know why he has come here. But I have never seen him as white as he is right now.

Damon glares at him. Rolf draws something out of his pocket but he looks short as he bends over to find the object in his long trench coat. Finally his hand makes contact with it and his hands now point a shaky gun at us.

"Annetta. Get away from that thing." I know he's addressing Damon as I feel him tense up next to me.

I start to jump off the counter but Damon puts his arm in front of me, blocking the way. "Hey, what the-"

All of a sudden his strong arms wrap around me and I feel the urge to kick and scream but I stand still as he puts his warm hand over my mouth. Rolf gasps, concern clearly showing in his eyes.

"Let her go!" He waves around the gun at Damon.

Damon just chuckles and shakes his head in response. "Ralph, Ralph, Ralph." "You obviously don't know me." "You see, I always get my way."

"It's Rolf." "And I do know you, te ab inferno daemonem."

I never knew Rolf could speak so much Latin but I keep listening as Damon's touch makes my heart pound faster than it already is.

"Fortasse, sed saltem sum respicientes bonum." I can see Damon wink as he also apparently knows Latin.

Am I the only one who learned Spanish like any other normal person?

"I have no time for your games, Trouble." "I need the girl." His voice is harsh, demanding and cold. Something I've never seen in Rolf before today.

"Well isn't that rude. The girl has a name you know."

"You wouldn't know."

"Or would I?" His cunning eyebrows raise and his lips curve into a wicked and sly smile. His lips brush against my ear as he whispers loud enough for Rolf to hear. "Annetta."

Rolf's face turns red and I try to scream that I don't know him but Damon only holds me tighter. "Your parents won't be very happy with you Annetta." He frowns at me as if I have committed the ultimate crime.

My hate for Damon now is blazing. It's a fire in the pit of my stomach, just burning and I can feel the smoke that's about to be pouring out of my ears.

In that moment Rolf turns away from me. He slowly trots away and the kitchen door slams on his way out, leaving me with Damon. I wonder if he's disappointed in me, I wonder if everyone's disappointed in me.

The hand releases me and I can finally breath. "What the fuck is wrong with you?"

"They were gonna take you."

"No shit. I was going to go."

His eyes look me up and down but his face is unreadable. "Why run away if you're going to go back so easily?"

"Why do you care?"

He shrugs and there's that dangerous fire again that seems to blaze inside of his eyes. "I don't."

"Well at least he left." I stare at the door, half hoping Rolf will come back to save me.

He stays silent as he kicks the window in, sending shards of glass everywhere. The wind blows through the big gaping hole in the wall and I rub my shoulders already feeling the cold air on my skin.

"Let's go."

"I'm not going with you." I look at him.

"You don't have a choice."

"I always do." I say simple as that.

"Not when I'm around at least." And with that he shoves me through the small window and tumbles out with grace.

I can't believe he can still have grace considering what he is.

We walk across the green grass of the out spreading meadow in silence while the wind whips around us.

"I didn't know you knew Latin." I sneak a peak of him as my own hair blocks my vision. I put a strand behind my ear and think of putting another ponytail back in as strays keep escaping from my one this morning.

"You don't know a lot of things."

"Excuse me?" "I know Spanish." I smile but let it fade. I shouldn't be enjoying my time with one of his kind.

"And when will you ever use that?" "I don't see any Mexican leaders in the Resistance." He stares straight ahead and says this with an edge to his voice.

"Are you being racist right now?" Of course he is. Why wouldn't he be?

"No, I'm being truthful. There's a difference."

I turn to him and cross my arms. He stops walking. "And how would you know anything about the Resistance?"

"I don't live under a rock. The Resistance might as well have a big blimp flying around advertising their daily news."

I roll my eyes. "Like you and the Troubled would know." "I mean do you even care about anything anymore?" There's a sharpness to my voice in return for his previous remark, but I like it there.

"Do you?" "You are the one who's running away from nothing."

My foot falls into a hole and I grunt but he keeps on walking like nothing ever happened. I pull it out by myself. "Not from nothing." "I mean didn't you see the warriors back there? The Resistance obviously wants me back."

"Oh yes because you are such a liability." He replies sarcastically. "You mean that one Ralph guy that was shaking in his boots?" "Quite a warrior, he couldn't even fight a baby kitten."

"It's Rolf, and why would anybody want to hurt a poor baby kitten?" I say running to catch up to him.

He waves his hand in the air. "That's not the point." Damon pauses and then stares at me. "Do you know him?"

"He's a good friend of my parents. I've known him since I was five." My eyes drop to the ground in shame. I wonder what he thinks of me now hanging out with someone like Damon.

"Aw. That warms my dear heart."

I'm about to make a witty remark but he beats me to it with a snap of his fingers.

"Oh that's right, I don't have one."

"Wow." I look at him long and hard. How did I ever get myself mixed up in this situation?

"Well the thing I hate more than the Resistance is being predictable."

"Great, so it's going to be a box of surprises with you." I glare at him as I fall behind.

I can see the sick red marks crawling to his neck. I don't mean sick in a cool way. I mean it in a disgusting and revolting way, trust me. There's a difference.

"Where are we going anyway?" I say running next to him again. My feet ache as I take another step. It feels like we've been walking for miles.

"Me? I thought you were leading us." He says seriously.

"What!?" I exclaim and I almost convince myself I should strangle him when he starts to snicker.

"Calm down, we're almost there."

*Hello lovely readers! :) Thanks for coming here and taking the time to read another entry of my book. I didn't know when to update it because I forgot when I even published the last snippet but I hope you enjoyed it! Comment and vote if you like it. Thanks again! :D