Prologue

College, Sophomore Year (2009)

I watched Dante as he worked the room, going over saying hello to everyone. He was in his element. I watched as he seemed to glide across the room, not a hair coming out of place with the amount of gel that he used. The way the shirt clung to his chest, his biceps not overpoweringly huge; how his jeans fit him snugly, gripping his ample ass and showing it off for the world to see.

"Alex?"

I swiveled my head away from Dante and looked to Jenna as she touched my arm. Fuck. "Yeah, babe?"

"You just looked like you zoned out for a minute," she responded, wrapping her arms around my waist.

"Nah," I said and gave her one of my trademark smiles. I kissed her cheek. "Just surveying the room. A lot of people here tonight!" Jenna smiled and returned to her conversation with her friends.

I had to stop these feelings. Why was I even looking at Dante like that? We were best friends and I'm not gay. I should be staring at Jenna and how hot she looked tonight.

I scanned the room, looking over the rim of my glass as I sipped my drink. My eyes landed on him at the bar. He was staring right back at me. He raised his glass and his brow and I smiled over at him. I turned to Jenna "Hey babe?" She turned to me. "I'm gonna go hang with D a bit, okay?"

"Alright. Say hey for me," she replied as she kissed my cheek.

I walked over to the bar and ordered another drink. "Hey sexy," he said as he slid up next to me. A couple inches taller than I was, it seemed like he towered over me. I rolled my eyes and laughed. "Jenna looks hot," he remarked.

"She says hey," I reply. I look over at her and she waves at Dante, who waves back.

"Oh, she's just doing that to be nice," Dante replies. "You know I'm not her biggest fan. And vice versa." Again, I rolled my eyes.

Dante and I had been best friends since junior year of high school. I was new, having just transferred in. I was sitting at a table in the cafeteria , alone, my ear-buds plugged in my ears. Paramore blasted from the speakers as someone sat across from me. I was not gay but I noticed how attractive he was. A pair of wide rimmed Clark Kent style glasses sat atop his nose, emphasizing his brown eyes, brown eyes that matched his creamy skin and black hair. A glow of light surrounded him. I'm unsure if it was his aura or the glow of the sun.

"You're new," he said. His voice was magical. Husky, yet modulated. Just those two words had me wanting to hear him talk more. I blinked as he waved his hands in front my face. "Hellooooooo, Dante to new guy." What was happening to me?

"Oh sorry," I said. "Yeah, today's my first day."

"I figured. What's your name?" he asked.

"I'm Alex."

"Well hello, Alex without a last name," he replied, smirking.

"Oh sorry," I said. "I'm Alexander Abrams."

"Double A. I like that." My heart fluttered a minute as he smiled, showing off his straight teeth. A bit of jealousy overtook me as I licked my teeth, tasting metal from the braces that held my teeth. Seriously, what was going on with me? "Nice to meet you, Alex. I'm Dante Evans." He extended his hand to me and I took it. His palms were warm, the skin colours a contrast. His creamy white fused with my caramel brown. "Has anyone shown you around?" He asked. I shook my head. "C'mon."

We became fast friends. Dante was always there for me, through thick and thin. When we found out that we'd be going to college together, we couldn't contain our excitement. Now in our Sophomore year, we were closer than ever. He's the one person in the world that I'd take a bullet for and I can't imagine a world without him. He was my best friend and I had love for him. Him calling out my name brought me back to the present. We looked at each other and smiled, clinking our glasses together.