Chapter Two

The Doctor bolted upright in bed, sobbing and covered in sweat. His hearts were just shattered, broken fragments in his chest.

Covering his face in his hands, he collapsed back on his side. The only reason he was here sleeping was because Amy had remarked that he looked exhausted. In all honesty, he had been, but he'd brushed it off, as always. Amy had kept pressuring him to sleep,now matter how much he'd protested, until he'd gave in. He could never say no to his Amelia Pond.

So, dead tired and full of anxiety, he'd made his way to his bedroom, a room that only appeared when he needed it. He'd put off sleeping for a reason. One. he didn't need nearly as much sleep as humans did, only about eight hours a month, and two, he was always plagued by severe nightmares.

They always were about things he'd done, sacrifices he's made. For the longest time, they'd been about Gallifrey and his people. The war. Occasionally, they still were. But now...now they were all about Rose Tyler.

They usually were about adventures they'd had that went worse than usual. That she'd been captured or hurt somehow. And then he'd lost her. He'd put her in danger and now he could never get her back.

The severity of the haunting nightmares had faded slightly with his regeneration, but he wasn't sure if he wanted them to. He always wanted to remember Rose Tyler, the girl who's saved the Doctor from going on a never-ending downward spiral. The woman he loved.

The T.A.R.D.I.S. hummed gently, signalling the approach of Amy. The Doctor didn't bother to clean himself up. He just remained curled on his side, tangled in the sheets, sobbing.

He heard the curious Scottish woman mutter, "Never seen this door before," and the T.A.R.D.I.S. hummed again, sympathy for her beloved Time Lord lacing the sound.

"Let her in..." His reply was barely a whisper, and the door swung open automatically. 

"Doctor?!" Amy was immediately in the room, radiating shock. "Doctor, what's wrong?!"

She stepped closer to the bed, placing a hand on his forehead. The Doctor latched onto her as soon as she made contact, enveloping her in a tight hug.

"Doctor"

"Promise you'll never leave me."

He could feel her surprise. "What?"

He gripped her tighter. "You and Rory. Promise me you won't leave me alone. Please."

He felt her arms wrap around his torso as she returned the hug. "I promise, Doctor."

His legs turned to jelly, and then Amy was supporting him as he cried on her shoulder. A Time Lord, a god, ancient and powerful, crying in the arms of a mortal girl over the lost soul of another human, who, he knew, one day, would wither and fade and turn to dust in his wake.

Wither and fade like a passing rose.

Years later he stood in a cemetery in New York City, before the shared gravestone of Amelia and Rory Pond, their daughter, his wife, by his side, the all-too-familiar ache of his hearts shattering echoing in his chest.

Oh my dear sweet Amelia...everyone breaks their promises in the end.

Alright, if I, being the emotionless bastard of a human being I am, cried writing this, I know you did. Anyway, I hope ye enjoyed this little story!