38

DRAFT DAY

San Francisco

The girls arrived earlier today, after all travelling together with a bus they rent

The girls arrived earlier today, after all travelling together with a bus they rent. Kop was behind the steering wheel, as her teammates were singing awful songs. The only non-draftee on the squad is Becky, who insisted on coming and seeing her teammates getting the honor she got one year ago.

Once they got here, they immediately got shown their seats and sat down, all in the same area, laughing together and everything. 

They soon realized that they were pretty well-surrounded, especially at the back : since they had vacant seats because some of their family members couldn't be here, some of their teammates join the party. Kristie is of course the first person to be there in order to cheer for her fellow senior gals. Then, Julie, Lindsey and Olivia also are here, for different reasons ; while Lindsey is there to support her 'sisters', the Swede came to support her girlfriend (even though she's not really...) and Julie came mostly for Kop, even with everything that has been happening. 

When the Draft officially begins, the tension is at its best : nobody can predict who will go first, second or even tenth in this draft, since there is too much talent on the room right now. 

_______________

"In the first pick of the first round, Portland Thorns FC selects : Allie Long, from UCLA !"

The room erupts in cheers, as Allie is greeting her teammates - especially Tobin and Lindsey - praying so that her best friend would not go on the other side of the country because it would be devastation for both of them. 

She gives a quick but passionate speech, before going to Mark Parsons to thank him.

"In the second pick of the first round, Washington Spirit selects : Shelina Zadorsky, out of Stanford University !"

Once again, the girls go nuts : of course the girls from both teams would be selected pretty high, since they had a breakout year and were both in the finale, but nobody expected what was next to happen. 

As Allie is praying from the draftees room, and that Becky kisses her girlfriend to congratulate her, the Portland Thorns are set to make a choice. After thanking her teammates, coaches and family, Shelina joins Allie in that other room. The girls both hug each other, but Allie is stressed out right now. 

The guy from the draft organization gets on the stage and says : 

"In the third pick of the first round, Portland Thorns selects........ : Tobin Heath, from UCLA."

As soon as she hears those words, Allie breaks the rules and goes back to the stage, jumping on her teammate. Tobin hugs her back, almost crying, as the blonde then excuses herself and goes back to Shelina, who wraps an arm around her shoulders.