27

GAME DAY

Saying that Olivia is late would be an understatement : her exam lasted longer than expected, she misses the bus twice, and now she is just hopelessly walking in the direction of UCLA campus, since her exam took place in Stanford, but that the game is on the other campus, in thirty minutes. 

I'll never get there on time, Olivia thinks to herself, jumping when someone blow the horn right next to her, pulling aside. When the Swede recognize Julie Johnston on the car, she starts freaking out : how in the world am I going to do this ?

As Olivia is trying to come up with a proper explanation for why she can't get on board, Julie asks in a friendly tone :

"Going somewhere ?" 

The other blonde rolls her eyes. 

"Yah, I have this game in like thirty minutes..." Olivia starts.

"Get in." Julie says, smiling. 

It's okay, you can do this Liv, she thinks to herself, before putting the soccer bags on the truck and get in the passenger seat. When the defender starts the car, Olivia immediately thanks her, and then a weird silence establishes in the car. All you have to do is act casual for the next ten minutes. No big deal.

Trying not to sound too awkward, the Swede then says : 

"So, what were you doing in Stanford ?"

Julie takes a peek at her, before answering : 

"I had my philosophy class this morning, and then caught up with an old friend of mine, and since I couldn't play because of a minor injury, I missed the game. I'm surprised you are here tho !"

"U-uhm w-why ?" Olivia stammers, panicking. 

She knows by the weird look Julie gives her that she finds her awkward. But the blonde doesn't let the awkward silence and Olivia's weirdness ruin the conversation, as she gently explains : 

"Well, you usually have you classes in UCLA now ?" 

"Oh, no" the Swede breathes out, calmed down. "I'm actually in Bioinformatics and Mathematics, so all my classes are in Stanford. I usually don't have classes on the afternoons, but today I had an exam."

"Oh, how did it go then ?"

Olivia makes a theatrical move - half dance move, half weird move - before saying : 

"Nailed it !"

That makes Julie burst into laughter.  

"I have this weird impression to have seen you somewhere before..." Julie then says in a thoughtful tone, staring at the girl, and then at the road. 

Olivia smirks. 

"Maybe in another life."

"Maybe..." Julie lets out. She then smiles again. "We should definitely grab coffee some time soon."

Say no. No attachment, Liv.  

"I'd love that !" Olivia exclaims. 

*

After a hard fought 3-1 win over Duke, the Bruins are ready to go and cheer on Stanford as they take on Clemson in less than two hours. 

Apart from Tobin and Kealia, who are actually driving to Stanford. After a one-hour car ride, they finally reach the forbidden dorms. They put their earphones on - through which they are going to communicate with Kelsey from her laptop - before avoiding the security cameras thanks to the death angles, before actually reaching Hinkle's room.

As soon as they're in, they close the door behind them and their breaths get cut short. 

"Holy hell" Kealia whispers. 

Tobin suddenly wants to throw up. 

Even though the body is not here anymore - obviously - the blood marks are still there, and there are a lot more than it would've if Hinkle killed herself : it smashed everywhere on the walls, ceiling, floor... It's practically like if someone had put all of her blood to then put it there. Tobin knows what happened thanks to Criminal Minds : someone cut her throat open. 

The middy exchange a look with the blonde, before ordering : 

"Take pictures : nobody will believe us if we don't have proofs. Meanwhile, I'll just check the bathroom."

"Got it" Kealia says, before thinking of something. "We also need to find out how Kristie got involved in this."

"Yep."

While Kealia is taking the pics, Tobin enters the bathroom. 

A strong smell of blood is the first thing the middy notices, but it is until she spots the weapon that obviously was used to kill Hinkle. Once again, the lake of blood on the floor could clearly be from Hinkle's entire body. 

Tobin frowns. 

"K?" she asks in a shaky voice. 

Kealia, who is done with taking the pictures, joins the middy in the room. Her jaw sets, as she says : 

"... yeah ?"

Tobin sighs. 

"I think Hinkle isn't the only one that died that night."

"Guys"

Kelsey's voice makes both of them jump.

"Shit" Tobin lets out, her heart beating fast in her chest. 

"Sorry" Kelsey apologizes, and her two friends can guess the smirk that has to be on her face at the moment. "To make myself forgiven, I found something pretty... disturbing."

"Disturbing ?" Kealia repeats, shocked. 

This can't be good

Tobin's mind is running 200% at the moment : she knows something is off here. Something the police wanted to hide from the big public, the medias, the students, the parents... They wanted to hide it from the world. Hinkle probably isn't the only dead body that experienced the floor of this dorm. 

Kelsey's voice speaks on their earphones again : 

"Uhm... I have the admission record from the morgue and... Hinkle is on the list for June 25th, but she's not the only one..."

"Kelsey" Tobin says in a cold voice. "Who is the second person ?"

The goalies swallows her saliva, before saying : 

"Jerramy Stevens."