Chapter 11: Warriors

"They're gonna to have full power and we're walking?!" Scotty hissed incredulously.

Khan was leading the way swiftly through tight paths between engineering parts and out-of-the-way corridors, his phaser held at the ready while Asha followed right behind him. Jim was right behind her, not trusting the two Augments on their own, while Scotty brought up the rear, all the while glancing around dubiously.

"Turbolifts are easily trapped and Marcus would have us in a cage." Khan returned shortly. "This path runs adjacent to the Engine room."

"So they won't be able to use their weapons here." Asha understood, and Khan nodded once as he elaborated briefly for Scotty's sake: They know their weapons would destabilize the warp core if fired here, hence they won't be able to use them, which gives us the advantage."

Khan abruptly stalked off down another path, Asha following instantly, while Scotty demanded of Jim: "Where did you find these two?"

"It's a long story." Jim sighed as he hurried after the two Augments once more with a sinking feeling in his stomach that he may have made his greatest mistake in bringing both of them.

************

On the Enterprise

"I will be brief." Spock stated as he faced Spock Prime. "In your travels, did you ever encounter a man named Khan?"

The reaction was instantaneous. A look of utmost seriousness appeared on Spock Prime's face as he answered warningly: "As you know, I have made a vow never to give information that could potentially alter your destiny. Your path is yours to walk, and yours alone."

Spock lowered his gaze, a slight frown marring his face as he hid his disappointment at his answer. But Spock Prime wasn't finished as he continued, if possible, even more seriously than before: "That being said, Khan Noonien Singh is the most dangerous adversary the Enterprise ever faced."

Spock looked up sharply as Spock Prime warned grimly: "He is brilliant, ruthless, and he will not hesitate to kill every single one of you."

Spock mulled that over in his mind for a moment before he asked tentatively: "Did you defeat him?"

Spock Prime lowered his gaze briefly as he admitted slowly: "At great cost. Yes."

"How?" Spock questioned.

************

Year 1985

Khan stood, gazing around the room with feigned disinterest as a few VIPs of the secret genetics organization that the Chrysalis Project belonged to chattered beside him. It was the annual stakeholder party, and for the first time the scientists had finally unveiled the Augments they'd first created over twenty years ago.

It was creating a hyperactive buzz in the ballroom, as investors, doctors, geneticists, and more finally got to see the actual products they'd paid and researched for.

Of course, that part was actually boring for Khan.

If his mind hadn't been engaged elsewhere, he might've ripped someone's head off by now just to be forcefully removed from his current situation. The men around him were discussing his spotless record for successful missions as though he were unable to hear them, admiring the readouts they had bee given, while the women snuck flirty glances at the tall, stoic Augment.

Khan's fingers itched to move, but he refrained from the primal urge. Not yet.

His wandering eyes landed on bright red across the room from him, and Khan's expression instantly softened imperceptibly as he watched Asha.