Chapter 29: Sirius' Exit

Start from the beginning

“It’s showing us our entire life,” Annabeth said in a hushed voice, sounding distressed.

Her voice broke me out of my trance and I shook my head a little to rid myself of the daze. “Let’s keep going,” I replied edgily. “We’ll be in trouble if the Death Eaters catch us in here.”

She nodded in reply and we kept going. However we were barely halfway across the hallway when suddenly, a door at the opposite end of the corridor opened. The three of us stopped in our tracks and tensed up.

Out stepped the kid that had attacked us at the park.

“You!” I glared at him.

“James,” Thalia snarled at the same time. She gave me a motion to put her down and I obeyed, worried that she would bash me on the head or something if I didn’t agree.

“You know him?” Annabeth asked him, sounding surprised.

“He’s with Voldemort. I’ve seen him multiple times, that little half-breed,” she shot daggers at him with her eyes. I definitely do not want to be on the receiving end of that.

“Wow, really feeling the love in here,” the kid – James – commented casually, strolling closer towards us.

“You have a nerve strolling in here after that attack,” I gave him a dirty look, gripping my pen tightly. There was hardly any space in the corridor for us to fit seven people in a row, let alone to fight.

“Yeah, well, sometimes just being by Voldemort’s side could get a little boring you know,” he said dismissively. “Nothing helps boredom like an attack on little demigods,” he sneered the last word.

“How did you even join Voldemort? You’re just a demigod,” I frowned.

“No, he’s not,” Thalia said quietly from beside me. “He’s like Voldemort’s golden ticket.”

“That’s right, Jackson,” he snarled. “Your friend wasn’t lying when she called me a half-breed.”

“You don’t mean –?” Annabeth asked, sounding horrified yet fascinated at the same time.

“That’s right, I am a half-breed. Half-god, half-wizard, James Hethon, at your service,” he gave a mocking bow.

“Your dad’s Morpheus,” I said slowly. “Your mum …?”

“A Death Eater,” he stated proudly. “’Course, dad didn’t know she wasn’t mortal, so when he told her about himself, he didn’t really know what he was doing. She decided not to tell him about what she is, and passed me on to Voldemort when he found out about demigods.”

“Now, enough talk,” he continued, pulling out his wand while smiling maliciously, “I won’t be using my dad’s power just so you guys would feel like you have a better chance of beating me. All the better for me to crush those dreams. Avada Kedavra!

As the three of us dived out of the way, I noticed out of the corner of my eye Annabeth shoving on her Yankee’s hat and vanishing into thin air. Huh, come to think of it, it’s been awhile since she last used that hat.

Rolling into a crouch, I glanced at Thalia for a split second and nodded, charging forward together. When James casted more curses, she pulled out Aegis, a shield that expanded from the shiny silver metal bracelet adorning her wrist, and deflected them. Shockingly enough, it worked against them. Seeing it as a futile attempt to even attack her, he slowly begin to back up, focusing his attention towards me instead.

I cursed and barely manage to duck as a curse flew over my head. In that moment, Thalia leapt forward, her knives flashing. He bent backwards, narrowly avoiding being slashed in the face. While falling backwards, he kicked out at Thalia’s legs, causing her to stumble backwards. His eyes darted between me and Thalia and suddenly seemed to notice that something was wrong.