Chapter Two

You begged and screamed, promising anything you could think of, simply wanting to get out of the wedding. Despite the constant pleading you went ignored. "You cannot make me father!" You hissed and tried to yank from his grip but found yourself slung over his shoulder.

Footsteps thundered over and despite your attempts you couldn't see who had approached but your mother called for you to be set down and your family hurried, off leaving you alone with Hvitserk. "You do not like me?" He asked. He smiled slightly when you shook your head and looked away from him.

With a sigh you finally figure out your answer, it had been the one Helga had pointed out to you over the last week. "I... I do not understand why you are making me do this?" You admitted and tears dribbled down your cheeks which had Hvitserk hurrying to smooth them away with his thumbs.

He sighed softly as he cupped your face in his hands. "Am I really that terrible?" He asked, smiling when you let out a laugh mixed with a sob.

You leant forwards and he carefully hugged you as your head rested on his shoulder. "Don't you want to be with someone who loves you?" This had Hvitserk frowning. He hadn't thought of it as anything more than marry a girl that deserved what he could give her.

He smiled and let out a low laugh as you pulled back. "What if I promise to never force you to anything you do not wish to do, that I would allow you to do as you wish?" He glanced over at the group of your family who had gathered to see what was happening.

"It is not the fact that I am to marry you Hvitserk. It is that I woke one morning and told I had a few months before I would be wed and not once has someone asked how I felt." You crossed your arms and hugged yourself while Hvitserk looked your over.

Eventually he chuckled and nodded. "You are right, although I am aware of how you feel. I do listen to Helga you know." He grinned when you smiled at the thought of Helga berating him. "Ivar has you cooking for him in hopes of keeping the secret that you like me, Bard confuses you because you feel the same way and you told Helga because you fear you may love him."

He continued to talk as he reached out and took your hand. By the time you had reached the gathering you had come to an agreement with Hvitserk. Most of the way through your attention was not on Hvitserk but on Bard who was watching from behind Ivar and Sigurd. "I must admit on this day i had expected to have your attention." Hvitserk joked as the ring was handed to him and took your hand.

You gave him an apologetic look and smiled when he winked. Hvitserk and Ubbe joined your brothers in the bridal race, Hvitserk won but you were sure he'd tripped your brothers on purpose.

***************************************************

"You can all leave now." Hvitserk muttered and glanced over at Ivar when your family tried to insist on the traditional bedding witnessing but Ivar sullenly sulked over. Ubbe and Sigurd squared their shoulders and herded the people out.

You glanced at Hvitserk with a frown when he raised his cup to Ubbe who hesitated in the doorway. "You do not want the tradition..." You trailed off as he gently rested a hand on your leg and stroked circles into your thigh, nodding.

A faint smile played over his face as he thought over his answer. "You were reluctant to marry me and I am your husband now, it would be unfair to force you to do such things." He chuckled and reached for his drink while adding. "Besides, when you are ready for me I want to be the one you think of, not Bard."

He chuckled to himself when you looked surprised before smiling to yourself. He stood, drink in hand, leaning over to kiss you on the cheek and tug the flower crown from your head before heading over to the bed. His free hand rested behind his head as he propped himself up and watched as you smiled to yourself.