Chapter 10

He lives down the street from me. What a small world. I hear my father making comments, talking to himself, just in the other room. Sometimes he scares me. Never know what a drunk has in mind. I'm afraid he'll hurt me. Not mentally, physically. He has assaulted me before though. It'll be weird going to school tomorrow, seeing Mr. Fallon and remembering the series of events that went on yesterday.

   I get on the bus to realize Taylor isn't on it. Maybe he's sick. I'll text him after school. I still need to give Melanie a call, see how she and her father are. I just feel uneasy. I think I need rest.

   We got dismissed at 12:00 today. I text Mr. Fallon on the bus and tell him what my father said to me last night after he dropped me off. He said I was welcome to his house and that he'd help me with the History assignment we have because he knows I've been struggling to maintain good grades in his class. I've been under a lot of stress.

   The door to my house is locked. I glance into the kitchen window and bang on it as hard as I can, but I don't want to break the glass. My father is laughing it away and turns up the already loud music playing, to an ear piercing full blast. He has control. I don't even tell my mother about it right now. It will upset her and cause her to drink more. She drinks too.

     I feel like every time I try to get in contact with Melanie, there's an uproar. I planned on calling her after I got home, but I'm locked out of my own goddam home. I run to Jimmy's. This is my first time coming here.

KNOCK KNOCK

   ''Jimmy! Jimmy!'' I hear footsteps approaching the door. He opens the door with a surprised look on his face. ''Oh, Rose. What's wrong?'' He seems shocked and concerned. ''My father locked me out of my house and I just ran down here. I'm tired.'' I'm still trying to get my breath back. ''Come inside and I'll get you some warm tea. You look frozen. It's pretty cold out there today.'' I step inside. I'm immediately greeted by a cute golden retriever. ''His name is Gary.''

   I sit on the couch, and the T.V. is on. His house is nice and so neat and clean. The dog tags along. He enters the living room, handing me a nice warm cup of tea. He plops down beside me. He smells good. ''It's green tea. I put a little sugar and some milk.'' How is this happening I wonder. ''Thanks, just how I like it.'' He turns off the T.V. ''So tell me, your Dad just locked you out of the house for no reason?'' I nod. ''Yep.'' He shakes his head. ''Not cool.'' Am I really in my teacher's house right now? I take a sip of tea and put the cup down on the coffee table. ''Yeah, I'm used to his psychotic episodes,'' I say in despair. There is no response. He just looks down. ''When you want, I can drive you back down to your house and you can see if it's still locked.'' No. I don't want to ever leave. ''Uh yeah. Sure.'' Although I do want to get back to call Melanie. I still have homework to complete. Jimmy decided to let me eat over his place. He calls in some pizza.

   I feel nervous as we approach my house. My mother is home. She's home early. It's only 3. Maybe she suspected I had a full day and was out with a friend, who knows. My father for sure knew I had a half day, considering he saw me trying to get in the house. I can't believe he let me just leave. I could have just left and never came back. Is that what it has to come down to? Running away? Would that slap him in the face? Probably not even that would get him out of the denial he's in. I'm too smart to run away, I know that will do no good for my mother. She would freak.

   The door is open only because my mother is home. I wave to Jimmy as I walk up the steps. He smiles and swiftly takes off. There's a screaming match going on inside. I ignore it and go up to my room. I text my Mom and tell her that I ate at Olivia's. I need rest. I'm not feeling too well. I didn't even begin my homework, but I have the time after my nap for that.