Chapter 7

''Did you ever find the note?'' I smile. ''Yes, yes I did. Turns out, my History teacher had it because somehow it got passed in along with my essay. Taylor smiles. ''I'm glad you know Kylie didn't have it.'' I nod. ''She was absent yesterday which was ironic because I thought maybe her being absent related to the note.''

   In the halls, Mr. Fallon asked me if I wanted to talk with him again and I told him that I didn't want to stay after school. He told me he could take me out of Study if I wanted. I told him that was fine. This is all so weird. Why is this man, this teacher, being so thoughtful of me all the time? Does he feel bad? Is this even allowed? I'm not going to tell any of my friends because they would think it was strange.

   Kylie's back in school, I guess she was sick. I wish she would stay sick. Next period is Study and I have to go to Mr. Fallon's class instead, if anyone asks me why I'm going, I'll tell them I went for extra help on some things. I feel when I talk to him, the worries and pain fade away. I notice it the most when I compare him and my father, that's the space between.

   ''Now Rose, I saw how your father treated you when he was picking you up from school yesterday. He swore at you and then he took off at the speed of light. Was he drinking?'' I take a deep breath. ''I don't want the OCFS getting involved.'' The OCFS is the New York State Office of Child and Family Services. ''I am required to report incidents that involve endangerment to the state. I am a teacher, which makes me a mandated reporter.'' I sigh. ''Mr. Fallon, he is an alcoholic. He drinks and he abuses me emotionally pretty much everyday. This is nothing I'm unfamiliar with. I know you think filing a report to the state is the right thing but that won't solve the problem, in fact, it will expand it.'' Mr. Fallon just looks at me. ''I want to do what's best for you and ensure safety for you.'' He must care. ''I have always wanted a daughter. My ex-girlfriend never wanted a child and her and I never got along. I was so nice to her and she treated me with disrespect.'' My stomach turns. ''I- I don't know what to say. Is this why you are so nice to me?'' Mr. Fallon clears his throat. ''I feel the need to protect. I want to be a father.'' I wish he were mine.

   Study period is over. The bell rang and he said he would plan a time where we could do something outside of school. I don't know how I feel about this in regards of what my parents will say. Maybe I shouldn't tell them. Maybe I shouldn't tell anyone. Mr. Fallon gave me his cell phone number to text him if there was a problem and he would give me advice or calm me down by talking to me on the phone. Why isn't he afraid of getting in trouble? Is this okay?