Meeting Lady Catherine de Bourgh in London

Chapter 56

(Mr. Darcy's PoV)

It was an ordinary rainy England morning, no different than these which preceded it, and I was trying to get my affairs in order. I was about to return to Hertfordshire in two days' time and until then I had a lot to deal with. A week had passed since the much anticipated letter from Bingley which confirmed his plans to marry the eldest Miss Bennet- his proposal she had gracefully accepted putting an end to my fears that I was going to be the reason for the unhappiness of my friend. After this, however, I no longer had any excuse to continue to hide in London: Georgiana had already retired to Pemberley for the hunting season, Charles was successful in fixing my wrong doings from last year, Lydia Bennet and her new husband were safely settled far away from here in Newcastle, their funds secured just like it was negotiated. Now, Charles would expect me to rejoin him in Netherfield promptly. And yet, I was not ready to leave as I had not dealt with the main reason for my retirement to London- my unchanged feelings for Miss Elizabeth and what to do about them. Like the coward that I am, I spent my week here dealing with all kinds of small everyday issues, in order to avoid thinking about my emotions. Now, when I was only four or five days short from seeing her again, it was about time I made my resolution and made efforts to stay true to it.

My contemplations were interrupted, however, by my butler who announced that I had a visitor. I lifted my eyes and with stern look asked him who was it, hoping to convey the message that I did not wish to be disturbed unless it was some really grave matter which needed attending.

"The Lady Catherine de Bourgh, Mr. Darcy" he said tentatively before adding "Your aunt," obviously hoping that this reminder would soften my reaction. Honestly said, it did not. It maybe even more contributed to my annoyance as I was certainly not in the mood to entertain my always prying, unmannered aunt, who took great delight in putting herself above others and fancying herself in power to command them. Still, I took pity on the boy, who was obviously calculating whose anger was worse- his master's or the frightening lady in the parlour's- and told him to invite her in.

"Darcy, you will astonished, when you understand the reason of my journey hither! I am sure you will support me with your own heart, your own conscience, when I tell you why I have come! Oh, God, I swear I have never been offended like that in my life!" started Lady Catherine as soon as she set food through the door. If there was one thing I liked about her was her unquestionable frankness and directness. At least, she would not waste my time in unnecessary courtesies.

"Then, pray tell me, dear aunt, what is this unimaginable reason which compelled you to leave your home in the middle of the hunting season? I am aware how attached you are to Rosings, and to Anne, who I see is not accompanying you, so I believe you when you say it is a matter of great seriousness." responded I in the same manner as the one in which she had started the conversation. Truth was that I doubted that this was half as serious as she presented it but expressing this thought of mine would not lead me anywhere.

"Yes, yes, that's correct, Fitzwilliam. It is really important. But as to not worry you anymore, I will tell you that I come from Hertfordshire and that I bring most disturbing news." My face paled when I heard the name Hertfordshire. There was no doubt in my mind who she was visiting (she was acquaintanced after all with only limited number of people who lived there and even her insolence had borders), what I couldn't fathom is why.

"You see, Fitzwilliam, and I say that with no desire to offend you, my dear nephew, as I am most aware that you have no hand in this pitiful affair, but you need to know that a most worrying rumor reached my ears not three days ago. A rumor, according to which, you plan to unite in matrimony with no other than Miss Elizabeth Bennet!---" I couldn't believe what I was hearing. My aunt, my high-stationed, dignified, arrogant and proud aunt had travelled all the way from Kent to Longbourne because of a rumor about my supposedly impending marriage. I could easily laugh at the irony of it all, because if there was even a grain of truth in this, I would have no trouble believing that it would be me who is spreading word to the world and not some village gossipers. However, there was not, because Miss Bennet had made it quite clear that she would not have me, and so, it seemed that Lady Catherine had done nothing but wasting her time.