26.

First of all, I wanna apologise for the late update, I know I missed a lot of updates and I will probably miss more updates, I just feel uninspired but I will get back on track as soon as I can. Thank you for understanding. 

Second of all, We HIT 1K!!! HOW EXCITING!! Thank you all for supporting this book and giving it your time. It means a lot to me. Thank you. 

C H R I S T I N E

I hated feelings nervous, it made me sweat a lot and it made me more awkward than usual. I am not a big fan of social gatherings because it has always been me and my mom only. We didn't have extended family and I didn't have that much of friends anyway. But I enjoy what we have, just the two of us. I would help mom prepare the dinner and we would sit in the living room watching some Christmas movies. After dinner we would give out the leftovers to the poor then head back home. It is always fun with my mom. But when she got sick she could barely talk let alone cook. So I started cooking for the both of us and I would carry the leftovers alone. I shook my head and decided to start getting dressed.

I wore a red long sleeved dress with a white collar. I paired it with black tights because it is cold outside. I wore my black leather ankle boots. I combed my hair and let it fall on my shoulders in loose curls. I applied some make up which consisted of nude color lipstick and mascara. I went over to look at myself in the full length mirror and smiled. 

It has been awhile since I dressed up nicely. I am always working and taking care of my mother, I didn't have the time to go out to fancy gatherings- not that I want to- nor go on dates and meet new people. Working with Mathew opened a new door for me where there is fancy dinners and meeting his friends and family. I gained new friends while I work with him like Ryan and Max. I got to see the upper side of New York and how rich people live. I am forever grateful for him. 

I took my purse off the the table and went to the living room. Mom was laying there with her eyes glued to the TV. I felt a a brick of guilt hitting me and I frowned.

"Mom, are you sure you'll be fine on you own?" I asked. She was still looking at the TV.

"Aw, honey, yes I will." She said and I nodded. She turned her gaze away from the TV and looked at me. She smiled sadly and tears welled up in her eyes.

"Why are you crying, mom?" I frowned and wrapped my arms around her.

"It's - it has been awhile since I saw you this way, happy and excited." She wiped the tears away and smiled at me.

"It feels like I imprisoned you with me." She mumbled and I gasped.

"Mom, don't say that. I love taking care of you. There is nothing more important to me than you and your well being." I said.

"Aw, honey." She said as she hugged me. I rubbed her back gently.

"You need to stop crying before I start crying too." I whispered as she pulled away.

"You wouldn't want me ruining my make up, would you?" I wiggled my eyebrows trying to make her laugh.

"No, I wouldn't." She chuckled softly and I smiled. I hugged her one more time before I sat next to her on the couch. I was waiting for a call from Mathew. He is driving us to his Aunt's house, he gave Ryan two days off so he could celebrate thanksgiving with his family. After a few minutes I finally received the call. I started feeling nervous all over again. I bid my goodbye to mom and hurried to the door. I walked outside and took the elevator downstairs. I tightened the coat around me and walked where the familiar black car was parked. As soon as Mathew saw me, he exited the car and walked to the passenger seat. 

He looked as good as always with his gray suit and black tie. His clothes fitted him perfectly, he looked so elegant and handsome that it was hard keeping me emotions in check. He stared at me as I neared the car, his stare was intense and it was doing things to my body. I felt vulnerable, exposed like a bright light was casted on me while I am standing on a stage. 

"You look beautiful." He smiled at me and I blushed. 

"Thank you." I smiled back. He opened the door for me and I entered the car and thanked him again. The car smelt like him, his cologne was everywhere. His cologne became a familiar smell, a smell that I love. I find comfort when I smell it, I feel safe when I am around him. I have grown so close to him these past few weeks ever since we shared our pasts. He started the engine and drove off. The sun was slowly sitting and people hurried to go to their homes. To be surrounded by their families. 

The drive was silent and comfortable, it wasn't awkward and I didn't feel the pressure to say anything. Matthew had a small grin on his face all the way. He seemed excited and really happy. His happiness was rubbing off on me, it made me feel lighter and the anxious feeling was slowly going away. 

"Are you excited?" He glanced at me before turning his gaze back at the road.

"Yes but a little bit nervous." I answered him.

"You shouldn't be nervous, everybody there already loves you. Besides, my dad and Lisa won't be there so relax." He winked at me which caused my heart to flatter. I nodded with a smile. His words calmed me down, knowing that his step mom won't be there is a relief. After last time, I felt bad about myself. She is worse than Cinderella's step mom.

I recongnised some of the streets as he drove through brooklyn swiftly. Red, white, brown and so much more colors passed by as I looked at the houses. New york never fails to amaze me. Suddenly, we stopped at a small red bricked house. It was cute and it looked cozy. Flowers could be seen on the windows sills, tiny pink roses. It was so beautiful, nothing like I expected. I thought we would see another mansion or something but it seems like Leia is something else. I smiled lightly.

"Ready?" I heard Mathew's voice, I turned my gaze from the house behind him to him. 

"Ready." I nodded with a smile. He smiled back before he got up the car and opened the door for me. He offered me his hand and I gladly grasped it. Tingles went up my arm and warmth filled my insides. His big and rough hand firmly held my small one. He locked the car and we took the stairs up to Leia's front door. I inhaled deeply to ease my nervousness. Mathew squeezed my hand and I looked up at him. He was already looking at me and his brown eyes were shining with emotion I couldn't quite recongnise. He had a reassuring smile on his face. Butterflies were flying uncontrollably in my stomach. His wonderful smile eased all the nervousness away, it left me breathless and....happy. And all I could think of for the rest of the night was his smile and soft, kissable lips.