Chapter 16

Hey everyone! I hope you like this chapter! Pleave vote and comment!

______________________

I pulled into my driveway and parked my car. It was already dark by the time I returned home and I stood at the entrance to my home. I looked left, watching all the other houses on the luxurious lane in the corners of my eyes, they all shimmered beautifully.

But one house stood out to me, drawing me to it. A wash of courage and determination washed over me and I found myself quickly rushing to Brian’s front door. And before I knew it, my knuckled were knocking on his vintage oak door.

“You tell Brian you want him and he’ll be there for you in a heartbeat…” Kayla’s voice echoed in my mind.

The door creaked as he opened it up and looked at me, surprised. My eyes wandered to his body, he wore a pair of light, ripped jeans and a white v-neck shirt with the SG monogram and I felt like melting.

“What?” He asked me dryly, playing it as if he didn’t care for me.

“I want to tell you everything.” I said to him directly. “Please listen to me.” I begged him, swallowing my pride.

“Tell me what?” Brian cocked an eyebrow. His bare, handsome face watched mine curiously.

“What happened the night I got shot.” I said plain and simple and Brian’s eyebrows travelled even higher up his forehead but his expression softened when my hand involuntarily shot up to touch my healed wound.

For a split second I saw the familiar arm glint in his brown eyes but he drew his gaze away from me. Brian stepped aside to allow me to come inside, and shut the door behind me. I walked to his living room and sat down on the side of his couch while watching curiously as he made his way to the kitchen.

I heard his fridge slam shut and a minute later he reappeared in front of me, handing me a glass bottle of diet coke. I took the cold bottle from his hands and thanked him with a nod. The silence between us was killing me and I couldn’t help but take the can of beer from his hands and place it on the coffee table.

I found his hands, which were so large in comparison to mine and clenched them tightly. I looked in his eyes hopefully, “I’m sorry.” I said to Brian softly. “I’m sorry for what I said, those were all defensive lies.” I said shakily.

“How can I know that this is not another one?” Brian asked me straightly and I gulped. He was right, I let him down so many times that he had completely lost any faith in me.

“You can’t.” I said truthfully. “But I need you to. I need you to believe me. Because you’ve given me so much, and I took all of it for granted. And I know that you’re hearing this for the millionth time but I do mean it. I trust you and I want to earn your trust back. Even as a friend, I need you and I’m going to give back to you just as much as you’ve given me over the years.” I exhaled softly. He remained silent and I had to take the lead, and just spill all I wanted him to know.

“My parents were grifters.” I looked into his eyes, my hands still on his. “They robbed people off their money by pretending to have psychic powers. They made money off of people’s grief, they were con artists.” I exhaled. “And they told me to lie, shamelessly, determinedly and very, very persuasively. And I did very well, until I got involved with the wrong kind of people.” I sighed.

“How wrong?” Brian asked, squinting.

“Very wrong.” I stressed it and stood up. I pulled the hem of my shirt up and revealed the tattoo on the left side of my hip. “Remember when back in the day you asked me what it meant, and I said that it was an ancient symbol?” I gulped.