Number two just for you

Haha! It's done. I hope you love the bedrooms. Go to http://onthewall98.blogspot.com.au/ for photos.

Zoey had to leave the bathroom eventually but not before snapping an involuntary picture of Taylor to save in her contact list. Taylor couldn't demand one of her because every time she ducked her hair covered her face and she was so strong minded he sincerely doubted he found coax one out of her using persuasive arguments. Instead he had a picture of a flower. Poor compensation but it was, as he'd pointed to Zoey, a very pretty flower. Laughing she'd left promising she wouldn't return his texts so best to save his credit for something else. Taylor left 3 seconds after Zoey when she'd announced the coast clear and put the "closed of cleaning" sign back where it belonged. As Taylor turned to say one last thing he'd found himself looking at her retreating back, her hand linked with a dark haired boy, head leaning on his shoulder laughing at something he'd said. Taylor felt a pang of loneliness and turned and walked away.

Mum was furious.  

"Looking up and down for you. I needed you to stay with me. I had to give up on that top and intervene a fight with Jemima's mouth and the coat hangers. Do have any idea how stressful it is when you wander off? Not just leaving me with little Jem but worrying about where you've gone. No TV for the weekend. What's funny?!" she'd practically screamed when Taylor smiled at the mention of the loss of his TV privileges. They didn't matter as much now that Zoey had made fun of it.  

"Nothing mum," he sighed. Taylor pulled put his phone to text Zoey and then remembered what she'd said. Somehow seeing her with the other boy had crushed whatever hope he had of annoying her into replying. Or tricking her. He knew now that her nights were probably occupied testing or facbooking the anonymous boy instead.

"Get your head out of the clouds. I need you to babysit. I picked up another shift and it's a late one. I have to change as soon as I get home. Let's go.'

Taylor's mother was a nurse and without a supporting father the bills and the cost of living rested on her salary. She was always picking up late shifts to earn enough for shopping or school uniforms. If Taylor went anywhere special, like the Easter Show, Jamberoo or Luna Park, it was with a friend. He was always babysitting but he got a dollar every time he did and he mostly used the time for homework or TV. Or a good book, but he couldn't get too caught up in a novel if he was babysitting. Jem (Jemima) was an overly active baby and wasn't content sitting still. She only fell asleep when you turned on the footy, mostly out of boredom.

When they arrived home, Taylor helped carry in two bags of shopping and Jemima. Jemima toddled round the kitchen while Taylor and his mum put things away. She then disappeared to have a shower and reappeared in colourful scrubs.

"Okay so I should be back around eleven, call me if it's urgent. I'll leave money for a train ticket if you need to get the hospital,"

"Got it,'

That was the routine. Money in the drawer, phone in the hall. Don't do anything stupid and watch Jemima, it was basic.

"Bye, love you hon!'

The door slammed. Taylor settled onto the couch to watch T.V. when he heard a voice out the front that he could've picked anywhere.

"...well of course! Amy's really dipsy..."

He laughed, "no way," he muttered and leaped off the couch. When he opened the front door he spotted her rounding the corner, one house away.

"I've never said I liked her! That silly ranger never knows what to do in an emergency! She's not exactly bright,"

She was on the phone. Taylor considered calling out to her but decided to wait. Making sure the front door was shut; he took off his shoes and crept silently along the footpath. Zoey turned to go into a house about five doors down the block. They lived on the same block!