Chapter 1

It was a dark, cold and rainy night. Unusual weather this type of year and of course I was caught in the middle of it. I ran home, my hood covering my long brown hair. When I finally reached my house, I realized I didn’t have my keys. “Just what I needed “I spoke angrily. The cold air caused my breath to create steam as I spoke.  “Nicholas open the door!” I begged as I banged on the wooden door. “Ever heard of keys?” Nicholas my brother was the biggest smartass. His brown hair covered his green eyes that matched mine. “Ever heard of shutting up?” I replied. He let out a light giggle. “What were you doing until now anyway?” he questioned. “Nothing that concerns you. Anyway, where’s Mom and Dad?” I said, just to change the topic. “They went out, some dinner for the founding families.” You see, I live in a small town. A town where what people think of you, matters. Everyone knows each other in this town and, nothing bad ever happens here. That’s the way it works in Elmhurst. “Well, I’m going to bed. Night Carter.” As I was halfway up the stairs, Carter stopped me. “Hey, Laura?” “Yeah Nick?” “Goodnight, see you tomorrow. Love you Laur.” “Love you too Nicholas.” Little did I know that after tonight, my entire life would change.