XII. | Misunderstanding

"Oikawa-kun, you did so well today in practice!"

Tachibana Aiko squeals her praise, latching onto Oikawa's arm as he tries to help out with cleanup.

"Yeah, thanks but I really need to get this done right now. You could be some help too, you know. Help (Y/N)-chan fold the nets or something." He brushes her off, delegating tasks like the captain he is, much to her dismay.

Tachibana puffs her cheeks out and pouts. "Why do I have to work with her? I'd rather be with you."

"Is there a problem with (Y/N)-chan?" He asks suddenly. "I think she's a wonderful person and I think you could learn a thing or two from her." The plastered smile on his face does nothing to soften his harsh words. He pulls his arm from her and continues collecting volleyballs to put back in the storage room.

Visibly fuming, Tachibana makes no move to help you and storms out of the gym, pushing Kindaichi out of the way while at it.

"I don't like her." Kindaichi declares bluntly after she leaves.

"She's very bratty, more than Shittykawa." Iwaizumi adds.

Oikawa sighs. "Not very nice, Iwa-chan. But nonetheless, true."

Finished cleaning up the gym, everyone prepares to leave. 

"Good work today, everyone." Oikawa says. "See you tomorrow." He walks over to join you and Iwaizumi.

The three of you are silent on the walk home. Wanting to break the silence, you clear you throat.

"Tooru, you didn't have to be so mean to her."

"But she was being mean to you! No one is allowed to do that to you, (Y/N)-chan. I won't allow it."

You bite your lip, tempted to say something that you probably shouldn't bring up right now. You really want to ask about his relationship with Tachibana, since this is the one time you've seen him lose his temper with her. Every other time, he plays along with her, adding onto her flirting when she does it.

"Good intentions, but maybe a little over the top." 

"I guess, Iwa-chan. Maybe I'll apologize to her next time I see her."

I'm pretty sure Hajime is in on it. But why would he only tell him and not me? It's not fair. I should say something.

"Sometimes she does get a little out of hand-"

"Tooru, isn't Tachibana-san the girl that you like?"

Oikawa and Iwaizumi stop, realizing that they started walking ahead of you. Looking back, Oikawa tilts his head, confused. "What?"

"It's not too hard to miss when you two are together. Just because she said something a little rude about me doesn't mean you have to get mad at her. If she's the one you like, you should be nicer to her or else she's going to lose interest in you."

Oikawa gapes at you the entire time you speak. "(Y-Y/N)-chan tha-"

"You're so mean, Tooru."

You walk past them, not waiting for them to catch up on the rest of the route home. When you return home, you lay on your bed, sighing. You feel something warm and wet on your cheeks. Your heart is aching and you clutch your chest, letting the wave of sadness finally wash over you know that you're alone.

I guess I really do like Tooru. But why now? Why did I have to realize it this way?

- - - - - - - - - - 

As Oikawa watched (Y/N) walk away from them, from him, he started after her.

"Wait." Iwaizumi held his wrist, restricting him from moving any further.

"Iwa-chan, let me go."

"Now is not a good time, Bakakawa."

"Why not? She's got it all wrong! I need to clear up this misunderstanding before-"

"Before what? I know you have good intentions, but (Y/N) needs some time to cool off and figure things out for herself." Iwaizumi released his wrist and put a hand on Oikawa's shoulder instead. "You understand, don't you?"

"Yes I do, but it hurts. It hurts so much."

"I know, Oikawa. I know." He brings him into a hug, something he rarely did.

Thankful, Oikawa wraps his arms around Iwaizumi tightly in return. "Thank you Iwa-chan."

"Yeah, any time."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

hihi this came out a lot later than i wanted it to, but i couldn't find the inspiration. i guess sitting the entire summer finally allowed me to finally think about how to progress this story lolol

how has everyone been? i hope you've been well ^^ school is starting up for me again in less than a week but i'm actually looking forward to it bc it's my last year before heading off to college :')) i'm hoping this year will go well, and if i go mia for awhile again just know it's probably cos i'm working on college applications haha...

see you next time!