Yume no Naka no Mahō - (Magic in a Dream) - Part 1

Madam use to burn my tongue when I was little because I talked too much. I had permanent blisters on my tongue from the ordeal. I learned fast, the searing pain spread from my tongue to my soul. It only took once or twice of her punishment until I decided to only speak when I was spoken to. No questions, no statements, and from then on I was known as Mute around the orphanage.

I didn’t have friends here until recently. Madam’s punishment of tongue burning had ceased, but if the girls in the orphanage were bad, we were put into broom closets, sometimes for hours at a time. That’s where I met my friends, Hoshino, Tsukino, and Kaeino.

The sun had been shining brightly, and though Madam didn’t let us ever go outside, I could sit on the nook in front of my window in my room and feel the warn sunshine warming me. Madam burst into my room without a word and snatched me up by my hair and dragged me to the broom closet and slammed the door behind her. A few moments later, Madam had returned and threw three other girls into the dark broom closet with me. It was really cramped, and I could hear one of the girls silently crying.

“What the hell,” one of the girls said moving around to reposition herself. “Why’d she throw us in here?”

“I-I don’t know,” answered another girl. “She can’t do this, it’s cruel.”

“She can do whatever she wants,” the sobbing girl said between sobs. “I haven’t done anything… and I’m scared of the dark.”

“Look, crying isn’t going to get us anywhere,” The first girl said. “We need to figure out a way to get out.” I felt a foot kick me in my ribs and I gasped in pain. “What the hell is that?”

“I’m sorry,” I answered timidly. “That was my ribs.”

“Oh, so there are four girls in here?” The second girl said. “Great, this broom closet can barely hold one person, and we have four girls crammed into this little room.”

“I’m sorry,” I apologized.

“What are you apologizing for?” One of the girls asked.

“I-I don’t know, I’m sorry.”

“Would you stop apologizing? Damn that’s annoying.”

“Oh, I’m sor-, uh, I mean… okay.” I finished quickly.

The darkness had gone quiet except the steady breathing of the three other girls in the closet with me. After what seemed like years, the door of the closet opened and Madam pulled all four of her prisoners out.

“Have you learned your lesson yet?” Madam growled at us.

“What lesson? I haven’t done anything wrong,” said the girl that had been crying in the closet. She was a really pretty girl with beautiful hazel eyes, pouty lips that celebrities would pay top dollar for, and such an innocent and beautiful aura around her, I could tell that she’s a gentle soul. Madam’s mouth dropped open and looked as if she had just seen Santa Clause flying through the sky.

“I see we have a young lady here that hasn’t learned her lesson. I guess another two hours in the chamber would set her straight.” With that, Madam threw the bawling girl back into the broom closet and turned back to us. “Anyone else hasn’t learned their lesson?”

“You can’t do this, Madam,” the girl that had spoken first in the darkness piped up. “I’ll call the authorities on y-” Before the girl could finish her sentence, she had thrown the girl back into the broom closet with the girl that had been bawling and slammed the door behind her.

Madam turned back towards the other girl that was left and me with a huge evil grin on her face. “I suppose you both would like to join your friends in the closet?” I heard the second girl that she threw back into the closet kicking the closed door and screaming at the top of her lungs for someone to help her get out. I wanted to call to her, I wanted to help her, but I was afraid of Madam.