Chapter 5

Ghan had invited Wick to finalize his thesis over a cup of coffee. They were busy canceling out paragraphs from the manuscript and adding new ones when the communicator was delivered to him. Ghan had felt something was wrong even before he saw the device. The feeling had crawled down his esophagus as soon as his father had left and refused to leave. Unable to stop himself, he had used the gene signaler Jab got him for his birthday to extract the thing from the sheath. Then, not caring that Ed was right there with him in the room, Ghan had pressed play.

"I love you, son! I have never been prouder of the man you have become. I wish I could always stick around and make you blueberry pancakes. If you are listening to this message, then I might not be coming home. Either that or Nina has mailed the communicator to you by mistake. In that case, I am going to kill her. Anyway, if we do meet on the other side of the veil, try not to kick me too hard. My heavenly nuts won't survive it! I worry for you. The thing is, I understand why you hate change so much. Yes, I have noticed that each book on your nightstand is facing the same way it has faced for the past many years. I have also observed that you use the same cologne that your mother bought you before her death. I think it is time for you to move on. At least, give it a try for my sake."

Ghan didn't know how to feel. What he had tried to prevent all his life had finally come true. His dad had not come out of this new colony. Not this time. The message broke his heart with each sentence, delivered in his father's voice. It ended with an abrupt, "Son, I'm getting too old for this." Just like his father to leave Ghan hanging like that.

Since this was their third meeting, Ghan was sure that Ed wouldn't spontaneously combust. Nevertheless, he couldn't make himself meet Ed's eyes. Pain was raging inside him and he didn't know how to stop it. Then, his father's words echoed in his mind and he knew how to slow it down, if not stop it. He needed to change for his dad's sake, the same dad who thought of nothing but supporting his son. Jab had had no education or skill that he might have used to earn a living. He did the only thing he could have by taking the riskiest job in the world. The job of a colony vetter! Ghan decided, if he had never disappointed his dad before, he wasn't going to start now. He made the first small change that was in his power. He started to talk.

"My dad worries...worried too much. When he'd leave me for days while vetting a colony or recovering from yet another transplant, it used to drive me insane. I had inherited the worrying gene, you see?" He gave Ed a sad smile, finally looking at his friend. Ghan realized that Ed knew he wasn't supposed to respond. This was a catharsis and he was just going to be there for Ghan. "The cologne wasn't just the one that my mom had bought for me. I mean, that wasn't the only reason I used it. I used it because Dad used it too. When I smelled the perfume, it made me think that he was close by. That he was going to be alright! I see it now that it is I who needs to be alright. Will you help me get things ready for Dad's funeral?" Ghan asked his new friend.