Chapter 3 // Tyler

Two weeks later

"We're here!"

I open my eyes and find myself back into reality when I hear Jenna by my side. A smile crisscrosses her face in such a cute way I feel happy for her, but then I remember that I left the hospital three hours ago, and I'm not feeling that good, to be honest.

I look around me, overwhelmed for a second: we're still inside Jenna's car (apparently it's also my car), the same car we hoped inside and left the hospital in a hurry with at least ten black cars following our lead. The car is parked outside a big house that appears new to my eyes, and is also very pretty, in fact.

"Where are we?" I ask, trying to remember what Jenna said to me as soon as we left.

"Our house." Jenna opens the door by her side and slips out of the car. "Very pretty, isn't it?"

I nod, but I don't move. It's cold outside (or at least it's cold for me, because Jenna seems to take it very good) so I wait a while inside. Around us I see shades of green and yellow and a lot of pretty colors, similar to those I saw while we're on the road. Trees and bushes and other cars decorated my field of view, and if you tilted your head up you would see shades of blue and white (sky and clouds, and so far the most pretty things I have seen). It was beautiful outside, so beautiful it was almost confusing, and for a moment I ask myself: "where am I?"

"Ty," Jenna leans over my side and opens the door. "do you need help to get out?"

"I'm okay." I say, hoping my legs think the same way. "I'll stay here a while."

Jenna nods but doesn't move away. She's worried, I can see it in her eyes, but I don't say anything because I don't want to see her cry again.

I'm so happy to be outside that for a moment I forget about my "condition". Days ago, at the hospital, a man in a long, white coat said I might have trouble moving because my legs were in so much pain and it was horrible; so I had to stick around to a lady that helped me move them again. Several sessions later I was able to "walk" without having to grab her arm or any other object and it was something that made everyone proud. No more sad faces, and I was glad they turned their frowns upside down. Now I'm able to move smoothly but sometimes my knees decide to go all dizzy and I have to ask Jenna for help, even if it's embarrassing.

I look around me and my eyes catch Jenna's impatient look. I shot her a grin and with the help of my hands and stuff I get out of the car in less than a minute. Woohoo, new record!

"See?" I say, waiting for her lips to curve into a smile. "I did it alone."

Jenna's lips stay still for so long that I worry she may be concerned, but instead she leans over me and kisses my cheek. That's a gesture I have seen her do a lot to other people, but is the first time she does it with me. Yes, of course she has tried to before but has hesitated a lot of times and decided it's a bad idea, and I have no idea why. Maybe is because she thinks I'm made of glass and she's afraid I might break or something. I don't know, I'm starting to question a lot of things everyone around me does.

"Let's get inside." Jenna says, and behind her sunglasses I can picture her cheekbones going all red. "Your family will arrive at any second."

For a second I forgot they were coming too. I haven't accepted them as my family yet because they're simply way to annoying and loud. In fact, everyone seems very annoying and loud, even those girls that I swear I saw outside the hospital that Jenna told me I should avoid (I don't know why, I don't ask many questions either). Everyone, except Jenna, of course. She's the only one that really seems to care about me.

"But," I start and I find myself blushing too. "you're my family."

"Uh, yeah, but they're your parents, and they love you too." She says and turns her head around so I can't see her, and we start walking towards the house. "Anyway, you're going to love the house. Trust me. It has a lot of... pretty things. I can cook something if you want to, or we can go out to eat. Whatever you like."