26 - double, double toil and trouble

Depuis le début

My eyes wonder from our group, and catch Lydia and Austin across the cafeteria. She's laughing heartily at him, falling over into his chest. He looks down at her with complete adoration. The sight nauseates me. Why does she get to be happy? Why the hell does she get to eat lunch with her boyfriend? She's not supposed to be happy--she's been shunned.

She's faced total social exclusion and yet she's laughing so hard she's practically got tears rolling down her cheeks.

God, she's such a bitch. Complimenting me at prom, trying to make amends like she's so noble and mature all of a sudden. Like she's some Mother Theresa.

Trevor's words from the other day ring in my head. "One more scandal and it's off with your head, Queen of Lockwood." Lydias probably just waiting for me to screw up so she can jump in and replace me. It's all an act.

Alejandra follows my glare to Lydia and Austin and let's out a bitter laugh. "I wouldn't concern myself with them. He looks like he smells like weed and works at Journeys for minimum wage."

"She's too happy," I think aloud. I don't know where all this hatred is coming from all of a sudden. I haven't given Lydia a thought for more 2 and half seconds over the last month or so. I look away when I make eye contact with the smiling brunette. I can feel her eyes still on me as I pick at my fruit cup.

"Whatever," Becca whines. "What's that expression? We have bigger clams to steam?" Alejandra rolls her eyes and the rest of the girls stifle their giggles.

I smile at Becca. "It's we have "bigger fish to fry," B," I correct.

"That's right," she nods. "We do. You'll be 17 soon and we haven't even planned a party. What's your aunt say?"

"We haven't discussed it. I don't need a party. 17 isn't a big deal," I shrug.

"Your birthday is absolutely a big deal," Alejandra corrects.

"And you do need a party. Everyone everywhere always needs a party. Even if there's no real reason other than just wanting to throw one," Becca says. "You haven't been to a party in what? At least a month. We all just went to one. We're alright for now, but another week and I'll be having beer-pong withdrawals."

I roll my eyes and shake my head. "Whatever. Throw a party. Just don't bother me about it. You're all planning it on your own."

Becca smiles in response, plopping a bite sized piece of pineapple into her mouth.

++++++

Harper exhales as she lets her hair done, her break officially starting. Cleaning up after others at The Annabelle proved to be more of an escape from reality for her than anything else over time.

It's easy to get caught up in a world of parties, designer labels and never hearing the word "no," but nothing is more humbling than spending the day scrubbing strangers' toilets.

Harper knocks twice on Holden's door and he calls to her that's it's open. He sits in the living room, a bag of five guys on the table.

"Finally," he huffs when she comes in and sits down beside him on the couch. Her face wrinkles up as he digs into the bag, handing her her burger.

"I keep telling you you don't have to wait for me," she laughs.

"I'm not going to let you spend your lunch break alone," he frowns at her. "Especially now that you're having lunch with other guys and I barely get to see you," he chuckles.